What's new

ASUS DSL-AC52U vs DSL-AC68U for VDSL2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lukdz

New Around Here
I'm using currently old Sagemcom router. I'm searching for sorting better with FTP, Wi-Fi 2.4GHz + 5GHz (Dual WLAN) and VPN server (something more secure than PPTP). I have narrow the search to two models: ASUS DSL-AC52U and DSL-AC68U.

1) VDSL2 performance
DSL-AC52U: VDSL2 Upstream: 150Mbps, Downstream: 200Mbps
DSL-AC68U: VDSL2/VDSL/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL Up to 100Mbps/100Mbps upstream/downstream
I suspect that the better VDSL2 performance of DSL-AC52U comes from implementation of:
ITU-T G.998.4 (G.inp) Improved impulse noise protection
explained here (120 pages pdf): https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.998.4-201501-I/en
I cannot find information if this standard only push maximum limit of VDSL2 performance or whether it will help improve speed in case of bad cables (my current router provides only 25Mb/s)
On other hand DSL-AC68U has dedicated chip: 8MB Flash/64MB DDR2 RAM for xDSL/Modem.
-> if someone had chance to compare two in VDSL2 performance I would be grateful for comparison

2) CPU+RAM
DSL-AC52U: 750MHz + 128MB RAM
DSL-AC68U: 800MHz or 1 GHz + 256 RAM
Which rev of DSL-AC68U had better CPU?
Does slower processor and smaller RAM will impact performance of DSL-AC52U (using FTP and VPN server)?

3) USB HDD
DSL-AC68U: manufacturer hardware doesn't support sin-down for attached HDD
Does DSL-AC52U behave the same?

modem wise i believe they have the same mediatek chipset

the ac52u has realtek backend and is the entry level all in 1

the ac68u has broadcom backend and is pretty much the best all in 1 asus have till the asus dsl-ac88u hits the streets and its all broadcom

or whether it will help improve speed in case of bad cables

if you are on long lines from the node you prob want to avoid the mediatek chipset and stay with broadcom based modem chipsets

what speed vdsl do you have where you are as here we are limited to 100/40M and ether of the above can achieve that

i believe the next step for these types of modems is g.fast standard which will dramatically increase throughput capability of the modems where its used , eg fttc

modem wise i believe they have the same mediatek chipset
So why DSL-AC58U offers better performance?
if you are on long lines from the node you prob want to avoid the mediatek chipset and stay with broadcom based modem chipsets
Which routers/modems use broadcom chipset? Opinions, which I found sad that the ASUS DSL-AC68U had best modem (15% better synchronization than Huawei Echolife HG612 which is comparable with DSL-N66)
what speed vdsl do you have where you are as here we are limited to 100/40M and ether of the above can achieve that
I'm currently paling for 80/8 Mb/s, but i get only 25/5 Mb/s. And it is important reason why I try to find out if DSL-AC52U has better modem than DSL-AC68U.
next step for these types of modems is g.fast standard
Yes, but my current and only available ISP (Orange) isn't planing to implement it (at lest not in near future).

So why DSL-AC58U offers better performance?

the dsl-ac68u has better wifi and faster cpu and more ram
Which routers/modems use broadcom chipset? Opinions, which I found sad that the ASUS DSL-AC68U had best modem (15% better synchronization than Huawei Echolife HG612 which is comparable with DSL-N66)

for vdsl

netgear d7000

tp link vr series

billion 8900 series

I'm currently paling for 80/8 Mb/s, but i get only 25/5 Mb/s

if you get exactly 25/5 it sounds like your capped in some way as 80/8 is a weird plan but mind you its prob right

the dsl-ac68u has better wifi and faster cpu and more ram
Yes, but but modem is separate chipset, so it doesn't explains the difference in xDSL performance.
Thanks, I will consider them.
if you get exactly 25/5 it sounds like your capped in some way as 80/8 is a weird plan but mind you its prob right
ISP – Orange sell "Up to" 80Mb/s upload, 8Mb/s download (guaranteed minimum is 20Mb/s upload, 2Mb/s download), what you really get depends on your modem and length of coper cables between modem and ISP box (between 100-1000m).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!