What's new

Asus Et12pro & XTPro 12 mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adrian130980

New Around Here
I am pretty new to mesh setups so take it easy

I have two asus et12 pro routers in mesh and just got a xt12pro by accident as I didnt know there was a different one thats so closely named

I have the first et12 pro wired to my internet provider and then the second et12 pro connected wirelessly as a mesh

how do I know I have the settings right and optimised? is there a how to guide etc?

also is it wise to have two different types or router?

I will have two / three routers connected via ethernet and the third wirelessly

is there a preferred one to have as the main etc?

I live in an old English house with thick solid walls and want to understand these more

should I return the xt12 pro and get a matching et12pro

sorry if its all a bit daft

Adrian

If your ET12 set works well - return XT12 and get another ET12.

XT12 doesn't have 6GHz radio and you can't have dedicated wireless backhaul with this mix.

As per above, you can't really mix the 2 versions if you need wireless mesh. But if you need one, then 4 x XT12s would actually be a better option than 4 x ET12s.

As per above, you can't really mix the 2 versions if you need wireless mesh.

Apparently it is possible, but can't have dedicated wireless backhaul. Recent example of such mixed AiMesh system here.

XT12s would actually be a better option

I would agree, but only if 5GHz DFS range is usable for backhaul. EU/UK routers don't have non-DFS upper channels on 5GHz band.

It works somehow with shared backhaul to 5GHz only nodes. Not ideal, destroys the dedicated backhaul idea behind ET12/XT12.

If your ET12 set works well - return XT12 and get another ET12.

XT12 doesn't have 6GHz radio and you can't have dedicated wireless backhaul with this mix.
thanks, I will return the new xt12 and get another et12 to match the pair I have

is there any walkthrough for best setup etc and testing them ?

Adrian

thanks for the help!

I will return the new router and get the one to match my other two

I just need to learn the settings and understand more now

Adrian

is there any walkthrough for best setup etc and testing them ?

The best setup is 6GHz radio dedicated to wireless backhaul, 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios available for your wireless clients. This is how ET12 system was originally designed to work. I don't know how well it works for you in a thick walls house - the reason I first replied with "If your ET12 set works well".