What's new

Solved Asus mobile app compatibility with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
Just to be clear using the application isn’t something I recommend, and I remember instances that their is incompatibility’s with the mobile application and Merlin; off the top of my head through I can’t remember specifically what issues it causes, and obviously Merlin/addon features are not present. It’s an application meant for stock and well it might work could it cause issues? and what kind of issues might you encounter.

But so I’m not regurgitating incorrect information what is your stance on people using the mobile application with Merlin.

Last edited:
There are several posts by RMerlin on the Asus mobile app not being fully compatible with Asus Merlin.
https://www.snbforums.com/search/1217892/?q=asus+app&c[users]=RMerlin&o=relevance
For example this post:
There are a number of features that aren't compatible. Anything related to VPN for starter.

Also the app's Ad Blocking feature might possibly have issues, as I don't know if Asus kept the DNSDirector implementation intact, or if they changed its behaviour.

In another post he states the Asus app is not supported.
RMerlin said:
Configure it through the webui. The mobile app is not supported.

From just briefly installing it just now.

1 it initially try’s to ask you to enable remote access. I wouldn’t recommend this as it’s better to tunnel in using a vpn.

2 firmware updates will be incorrect. It will error.

3 vpnfusion is not compatible.

4 if you use cake it will indicate QoS is off. Flexqos is possibly the same (can’t check don’t have it installed)

5 app network diagnostics fail for me.

6 toggling aura rbg might conflict if you use the rbg schedule addon in amtm.

7 disabling asusnat tunnel means ifft which requires remote access enabled might not work. This might cause issues with alexa/google assistant or home assistant or other devices. I only mention this because alexa and google assistant are featured in the mobile app.

Their is other features like dns director, dns Dot, firewall, and more not present in the application.

Last edited:
I know there is piecemeal statements that it’s not compatible was looking for something concise that might actually cause concern. I think I’ve mentioned most from what I can see initially. But there might be more.

Last edited:
I know there is piecemeal statements that it’s not compatible was looking for something concise that might actually cause concern. I think I’ve mentioned most from what I can see initially. But there might be more.
Since I have no access to that application's code, I have no way of knowing for sure what works and what doesn't. I can only mention the things that I know for sure wouldn't work properly (like VPN control since Asuswrt-Merlin has my own custom OpenVPN implementation). But there are bound to be others (the QoS one you mention for instance, I didn't know the app could configure QoS).

That's why I prefer to just say that the application is not supported. I even considered for a while removing the QR link from the 3006 webui, but decided ultimately to leave it there. If someone wants to fiddle with it for some very specific features that they know works correctly and stay away from anything that doesn't, it's their decision - it might work "well enough" for their specific needs.

New version check might work if it relies on the nvram sets on the router by the update sccript (like it does even with AiMesh nodes), but updating wouldn't work.

Also as I don't use the application, I'm not aware either of any new feature that Asus might add over time. The ad blocking one for instance was new to me when I did a quick test of the application during 3006 development, last time I had tried the application before that was years ago.

Since I have no access to that application's code, I have no way of knowing for sure what works and what doesn't. I can only mention the things that I know for sure wouldn't work properly (like VPN control since Asuswrt-Merlin has my own custom OpenVPN implementation). But there are bound to be others (the QoS one you mention for instance, I didn't know the app could configure QoS).

That's why I prefer to just say that the application is not supported. I even considered for a while removing the QR link from the 3006 webui, but decided ultimately to leave it there. If someone wants to fiddle with it for some very specific features that they know works correctly and stay away from anything that doesn't, it's their decision - it might work "well enough" for their specific needs.

New version check might work if it relies on the nvram sets on the router by the update sccript (like it does even with AiMesh nodes), but updating wouldn't work.

Thank you for your insight. I’ve been repeating the line it’s not supported or not compatible for years, and just now was curious to figure out what things do and don’t work. If you want to tip toe around a few things it seems limited, but functional. Honestly I don’t see the point of using it myself as it doesn’t really offer much extra convenience or functionality besides push notification. Overall it’s just as easy to bookmark your routers web interface in my opinion.

IMG_0300.png

For reference if you check for firmware updates in the application it will just error.

For reference if you check for firmware updates in the application it will just error.
Odd. That would imply that it does its own version check, rather than just triggering the webs_update.sh script on the router and checking the state of the webs_* nvrams.

Or maybe it's just unable to properly parse the version string contained in the variable and spits out that error instead of a more accurate error.

Check out the router's system log, see if it triggered any service event at the time you triggered a version check on the mobile app.

Looking at that screenshot, it seems to imply it's trying to upgrade, not just check for firmware availability. That might be why it fails, the upgrade is a separate service event from the version check.

Odd. That would imply that it does its own version check, rather than just triggering the webs_update.sh script on the router and checking the state of the webs_* nvrams.

Or maybe it's just unable to properly parse the version string contained in the variable and spits out that error instead of a more accurate error.

Check out the router's system log, see if it triggered any service event at the time you triggered a version check on the mobile app.

Looking at that screenshot, it seems to imply it's trying to upgrade, not just check for firmware availability. That might be why it fails, the upgrade is a separate service event from the version check.

No system logs indicate a service event was triggered.

No system logs indicate a service event was triggered.
So probably all done locally by the app, which is a bit weird.

It kinda works here!
Screenshot_2024-07-06-22-29-54-313_com.asus.png

Does it generate an error when you click check firmware version or did it show these already? Clicking the button might force a upgrade where it passively checking itself overtime might be a notification of new updates.

Just to make sure I disabled skynet and diversion and at least for me I got an error.

That screenshot was taken after checking the firmware version. *I don't normally use the app!

Hi I just wanted to add to this thread that I'm definitely glad and can confirm my end that the Asus app does indeed work around 85% -90% functionality !...Apart from VPN Fusion and perhaps a few other small bits large proportion of the app still fully functions with the latest version of Merlin firmware.

Even the tools section and diagnostics charts all seem to work fine .

I've actually used the app to name my devices and it sync perfectly fine so their is definitely the app binds the accounts DDNS works ... Instant Guard works fine .

I even went as far as actually setting up my router out of curiosity RT-AX86U Pro from fresh just using the app with Merlin firmware installed and it works exactly the same as having stock firmware loaded up on the router.

The check firmware section picks up the newer AsusWRT 5 with no issues.☝️😎👌So it's all good .

@RMerlin

Hi I just wanted to add to this thread that I'm definitely glad and can confirm my end that the Asus app does indeed work around 85% -90% functionality !...Apart from VPN Fusion and perhaps a few other small bits large proportion of the app still fully functions with the latest version of Merlin firmware.

Even the tools section and diagnostics charts all seem to work fine .

I've actually used the app to name my devices and it sync perfectly fine so their is definitely the app binds the accounts DDNS works ... Instant Guard works fine .

I even went as far as actually setting up my router out of curiosity RT-AX86U Pro from fresh just using the app with Merlin firmware installed and it works exactly the same as having stock firmware loaded up on the router.

The check firmware section picks up the newer AsusWRT 5 with no issues.☝️😎👌So it's all good .

@RMerlin

I guess I could see what was blocking the firmware check on my end. But theirs really no point since it’s just going to be inaccurate either way. Whatever is blocking it is probably doing me a favour if I were to use the application to avoid being notified lol.

Also, the memory availability information in the app is completely off, it keeps decreasing over time, when on the web is on a steady value

Also, the memory availability information in the app is completely off, it keeps decreasing over time, when on the web is on a steady value
The app probably does not take into account cache and buffers usage.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!