What's new

ASUS N66R and fiber internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wadus

New Around Here
I just upgraded from my Linksys WRTG to an ASUS N66R. The linksy worked flawlessy but I wanted to upgrade. I installed the n66r and it updated to the lastest firmware and I've reset and rebooted it and the computers several times and still cant get an internet connection wired or wireless. If it lets me connect it may work for a couple of seconds then I lose connection.

I have no issues at all with the computers connecting to each other, but internet is not even usable.

My internet is through my local utility company BTES and their tech guy said it's fiber to the user and no modem. He said everything that he can check seems to be working right and may be a setting on the router that will fix my problem.

I cant call ASUS yet so hopefully someone on this forum may be able to help.

Thanks for any advice you can give

I just upgraded from my Linksys WRTG to an ASUS N66R. The linksy worked flawlessy but I wanted to upgrade. I installed the n66r and it updated to the lastest firmware and I've reset and rebooted it and the computers several times and still cant get an internet connection wired or wireless. If it lets me connect it may work for a couple of seconds then I lose connection.

I have no issues at all with the computers connecting to each other, but internet is not even usable.

My internet is through my local utility company BTES and their tech guy said it's fiber to the user and no modem. He said everything that he can check seems to be working right and may be a setting on the router that will fix my problem.

I cant call ASUS yet so hopefully someone on this forum may be able to help.

Thanks for any advice you can give

BTES tells you that their service if fiber to the customer's residence, then there'd be some sort of fiber to copper converter in a demarcation box they provided. From that box, a cat5 cable would go to your router's WAN port. Right?

So your router's WAN port setup may expect it's talking to a modem and may be setup for PPP or some such. Your router's WAN port side firmware has to be setup per BTES' instructions in terms of the WAN side settings. Your router will send them a DHCP request and expect to get a DHCP grant/lease from them - this is what a modem would do.

if you briefly connect a PC setup for DHCP (the normal default) to the BTES cat5 cable, eliminating the router, and the PC works reliably, you'll know that it's a router problem. And your older Linksys WRT54G (?) worked. So this would take us to a router setup problem on the WAN page. Or some problem in the router's firmware in dealing DHCP with BTES. This is kind of unusual for consumer ISP (no modem is unusual).

While the PC is connected direct, as above, you could make note of the following, by using a windows (or equiv) command window command of
ipconfig /all

and make a note of
IP address
Gateway IP
subnet mask
DNS server IP

Your router would need to get the same info.

I'd think that BTES would talk you through the router settings, or send a tech to the home - since you are a paying customer!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response.

When I posted this my router was powered on and connected by wire to my PC. I had the internet line connected straight to my laptop bypassing the router so I could get on line and post this. It was probably connected like this for atleast an hour or so while I was trying to research my problem.

I reconnected the internet line back into the router seems to have fixed itself and everything is working good. I noticed that the WAN IP was a very different from when it was having problems.

OLD WAN IP and gateway were 67.223.9.151 / 67.223.9.1

New IP and gateway 216.41.252.165 / 216.41.252.1

I dont see a subnet mask

There are two DNS

BTES does have some sort of box next to the electric meter. I did disconnect the cable (couldn't find a way to disconnect its power) from that for about 5 min before I connected the router for the first time.

Quite often, ISPs that work through DHCP will only issue leases to a limited number of MACs. Sometimes you can reset a lease by keeping the modem offline for 5-10 mins (in the case of cablemodems). In your case, just having no gear connected to their equipment for an extended period of time might also do the trick, and free up a lease.

As a last resort, you can always try to clone the older router's MAC, on the new router's WAN page.

Everything is still working great, so I'm not gonna change anything yet.

Thanks again for all the help.