What's new

Asus PCE-AC68 Software AP Mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ult.nrg

New Around Here
Hi

Just wondering if the ASUS PCE-AC68 supports wireless AP mode? I want to put the adapter in my PC and share the internet connection via wireless (OS is Windows 8.1 or Windows server 2012 R2)

If it is unsupported, how does the adapter come up in Windows; does it come up with two network adapters (one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz) or is it just the one and it adjusts to the network it is connected to accordingly?

Reason I ask is if the adapter doesn't support AP mode natively I want to create two networks (one 2.4 and one 5) via 3rd party software or using Windows itself.

Thanks!

I haven't seen that usage case with a wireless adaptor - it is usually just a client (not a router).

I don't think it can be changed with software either.

The firmware (I think) needs to support that mode natively.

Windows Internet Connection Sharing does let you share via WiFi although, it'll be similar to P2P networking from a hotspot rather than a true AP mode.

I haven't seen that usage case with a wireless adaptor - it is usually just a client (not a router).

I don't think it can be changed with software either.

The firmware (I think) needs to support that mode natively.

ASUS have done it before, I remember using my old P5B/Deluxe WiFi motherboard to use the WiFi as an AP (via the software of course).

Also it looks like both their PCE-N15 and PCE-N53 both support software AP, just wanted something with a bit more grunt :)

Windows Internet Connection Sharing does let you share via WiFi although, it'll be similar to P2P networking from a hotspot rather than a true AP mode.

Yeah this is what I was going to do if the ASUS software didn't support it. Does the adapter install as two network devices in Windows though, as I am not sure how I would create two P2P 'hotspots' if it doesn't (one for 2.4 and one for 5).

Thanks again :)

The USB-AC56 *doesn't* work with AP mode although it seems to be a driver bug. It says that's it's supported but it refuses to accept any passkey. I didn't actually try it without a passkey as that would be pointless. I tried my old Asus USB-N13 and it worked fine.

Hopefully the same bug isn't present in the PCE-AC68.

ASUS have done it before, I remember using my old P5B/Deluxe WiFi motherboard to use the WiFi as an AP (via the software of course).

Also it looks like both their PCE-N15 and PCE-N53 both support software AP, just wanted something with a bit more grunt :)

Yeah this is what I was going to do if the ASUS software didn't support it. Does the adapter install as two network devices in Windows though, as I am not sure how I would create two P2P 'hotspots' if it doesn't (one for 2.4 and one for 5).

Thanks again :)

Shows up as one device in Device Manager. 2.4/5GHz control is through the driver. Not sure which band ICS uses, my guess: 2.4GHz.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!