What's new

Asus republic of gamers rapture gt-ac5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SFANYTIM3

New Around Here
Hi, have been looking every where on how to get better performance and security but what are the best settings people recommend to do?

Hi, have been looking every where on how to get better performance and security but what are the best settings people recommend to do?

That router is listed as End of Life by Asus. It will not get any more firmware or security updates. Probably a good idea to consider upgrading at this point.

That router is listed as End of Life by Asus. It will not get any more firmware or security updates. Probably a good idea to consider upgrading at this point.
What router should I go for then? I like asus interface but idk If is still worth to go for

What router should I go for then?
Without more information on your use case, broadband speed, LAN and WiFi needs, and various other requirements; no one can answer that question beyond just offering very general suggestions.

Without more information on your use case, broadband speed, LAN and WiFi needs, and various other requirements; no one can answer that question beyond just offering very general suggestions.
Hope this is enough information.

I use my Internet mostly for streaming and smart home control such as Google Home and Philips Hue, entertainment system such as TV, amplifier and Xbox. right now the speed is 500/500 mbps on wireless connection, I want more stability and higher range in the home. I live in a basement flat but struggle with the fact that 5ghz is not available everywhere and I lose signal very often. have experienced that the Internet switches from 5ghz to 2.4ghz a lot. trying to find a way to fix the problem but beyond my knowledge. I am also limited as to where I can place the router in the apartment due to the small number of sockets in the apartment

If you want to stick with Asus either the RT-AX86U_PRO or RT-AX88U_PRO, or one of the expensive wifi7 supported ones here https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
Not saying you need to run Merlin, but the higher end routers that Merlin supports seem to have longer support from Asus.

The smallest footprint Asuswrt 5.0 compatible router, also the cheapest.
The limitation could also be read that he can only put it in one corner of the apartment and thus the concern is that it’ll have enough range / strength / throughput at the farthest corner, but I guess being an apartment it’s probably relatively small anyway.

I personally wouldn't replace a good working GT-AC5300. It's a very good performer, hard to beat in range. It's an EoL model for marketing reasons, but locked down will continue working well. If this one can't cover the apartment perhaps nothing new will make significant difference.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!