What's new

Asus Rog Gaming Routers vs Asus Gaming Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
So my understanding Asus Rog Routers have extra features for gaming but do this features do anything to being connected by Ethernet or just wifi? If the extra features on a Asus Gaming Rog router doesn't affect Ethernet connection I'll just get a Asus none Rog Gaming Router

In my experience, non-ROG routers and ROG routers function very similarly, if not exactly the same from one another.

I have both the Asus RT-AX88U Pro (non-ROG) and the GT-AX6000 (ROG) and they are both very similar hardware-wise. The only difference was that the GT has an RGB light and has a more gaming focused UI (also... it costs a bit more despite being similar to the AX88U Pro). However, beyond that, they both run the exact same operating system despite the UI differences and have the same features between them both.

It depends what your specific use-case is, but often times you'll be getting a very similar experience between the non-ROG and ROG routers and it won't make a difference on your ethernet connection.

extra features for gaming

Mostly different marketing with false advertising involved. Game Boost activated QoS, Open NAT sets Port Forwarding, etc. Inventing terms in networking to impress the target market with expected lower knowledge levels. Not Asus specific, everyone is doing it to some degree. Popular catch-words, color accents, RGB lights, many large external antennas - Gaming Router. Gaming VISA and Gaming Mastercard accepted.

Mostly different marketing with false advertising involved. Game Boost activated QoS, Open NAT sets Port Forwarding, etc. Inventing terms in networking to impress the target market with expected lower knowledge levels. Not Asus specific, everyone is doing it to some degree. Popular catch-words, color accents, RGB lights, many large external antennas - Gaming Router. Gaming VISA and Gaming Mastercard accepted.
Exactly - its a mark-up on gaming gear. It seems many try to sell routers on the idea of "You NEED this gaming router in order to get a competitive advantage in your games!", while not advertising the fact that their non-gaming variant of the same router can do the same thing, while usually costing less (and in many cases, the ISP-supplied modem/router can be sufficient for gaming). Again, in the case of my AX88U Pro/GT-AX6000, they are not going to advertise that their cheaper/newer AX88U Pro or AX86U Pro can do the same for less.

To unleash your gaming network's full potential Asus ROG CAT7 Gaming Cable is highly recommended.

It transfers faster gaming ones and sometimes even gaming zeroes. Works as normal Ethernet cable as well.

Last edited:
I think I'm going for the

RT-BE88U it looks normal and nice lol yes it's wifi7 but why not be future proof right??? Or what do you think stick with wifi 6e???​

In my experience, non-ROG routers and ROG routers function very similarly, if not exactly the same from one another.

I have both the Asus RT-AX88U Pro (non-ROG) and the GT-AX6000 (ROG) and they are both very similar hardware-wise. The only difference was that the GT has an RGB light and has a more gaming focused UI (also... it costs a bit more despite being similar to the AX88U Pro). However, beyond that, they both run the exact same operating system despite the UI differences and have the same features between them both.

It depends what your specific use-case is, but often times you'll be getting a very similar experience between the non-ROG and ROG routers and it won't make a difference on your ethernet connection.
Fo

This one is 2022 model like RT-AX58U V2 (BCM6756 2.4GHz/6GHz 2x2) with one extra radio (BCM6715 5GHz 4x4). Not a high-end router, more like mid-level. Similar TP-Link Archer AXE75 is more popular with gamers with VP sets and is usually about $100 less. Trend Micro is optional subscription.
Website is not showing that the RT-AX58U has 6GHz unless I need to find the one that has V2 which I'm not finding anywhere with V2

Website is not showing that the RT-AX58U has 6GHz

It doesn't. BCM6756 is used for 2.4GHz and 5GHz on RT-AX58U V2. It's used for 2.4GHz and 6GHz on RT-AXE7800 plus this model has extra BCM6715 radio for 5GHz. Different configurations of Wi-Fi 6/6E compatible SoC.

I went for it the asus rt-ax86u pro I'm happy I've watched many videos and reviews on website and every single video and website they all have said good things about it

I went for it the asus rt-ax86u pro I'm happy I've watched many videos and reviews on website and every single video and website they all have said good things about it

Most product reviews miss/omit the warts and blemishes... like home inspectors right before you close, they don't find or dwell on the many lesser defects. Celebrate after you have your new network up and stable and serving your needs.

OE

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!