What's new

Asus router recommendation mainly used for vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peste19

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to buy a router for my office which I want to vpn into which will be its main use. I was looking something around $200 and found these which seem very similar, i was hoping I could get maybe some recommendations on which or if there might be a different alternative.

The ones I looked were

1) Tuf-AX6000
2) RT-AX86U Pro
3) GT-AX6000

Any opinions would be appreciated or if there is another model that might be better around the same price range, please mention

As mentioned, I am using it mainly for a vpn server and hoping to get something which hopefully have be supported for a long time, my home router is EOL

AX86U Pro is my recommendation. $200 at Amazon now. I use mine as a VPN server and have tested Wireguard, OpenVPN and Instant guard. Also runs Merlin firmware very well!

From the list above - RT-AX86U Pro. The cheapest model with newer BCM4912 hardware.

Any opinions would be appreciated or if there is another model that might be better around the same price range, please mention

As mentioned, I am using it mainly for a vpn server and hoping to get something which hopefully have be supported for a long time, my home router is EOL

Legit 800 on WG...

And out of the box is supports OpenVPN, Wireguard, ZeroTier, and Tailscale - should I mention TOR?

Legit 800 on WG...

And out of the box is supports OpenVPN, Wireguard, ZeroTier, and Tailscale - should I mention TOR?

Have to admit that's a pretty impressive set of specs and features, esp. for the price. Simple, clean, look too.

GL-MT6000 has nice features and compact too, but the OP is asking for an Asus router. I hope they know what they want.

Main use VPN - I would get GL-MT2500 instead. It's under $100 and I have one doing exactly VPN duties in another country.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!