What's new

ASUS RT-87U VS ASUS RT-68U VS LINKSYSWRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sunil.gulabani

New Around Here
Hi I need two routers for two different locations.

I need one router that can be the fastest for reading and writing between two PCS at the fastest possible speed. This router shall be connected to 20Mbps Internet connection.. I am currently using a 2.4Ghz usb 2.0 adapter on one of the computers which I plan to change to a dual band PCI Express wifi ac adapter/USB3.0 AC ADAPTER so that it can help with the data transfer. The other PC is connected directly to the router. This router shall also be hooked on a DVR Camera that streams video via dyndns. Also a WDTV media player will be connected wired or wireless... Please suggest from the list... As these are lately the most common routers available here.. atleast in the AC technology. As far as range is concerned one PC is in the same room connected to the router and the other is like a wall away... But I need superfast read/write speeds between the two pcs thats the main requirement. Unfortunately the second PC cannot be connected to the router using a wired connection and has to be wireless. Current Router in this location is WRT-160N and does an extremely crappy job of data transfer between the two PCS.. I have done lan speed test and got some pathetic results..To write 10 packets of data it took 8.98 seconds and to read 10.09 seconds for 10 packets of data..

The other router will be connected to multiple devices at a given time such as a desktop, a mac mini, iphone, android phones, LG Smart TV for streaming movies including 3D movies from the router connected USB 3.0 or on the PC..The PC has already been updated to PCI Express ASUS 1900 AC adapter. I need this router to flawlessly do data transfer reading, writing, streaming media on any device to and from.. without wanting to ever see "buffering".. This location needs the best internet speeds max of 30MBPS and the best MEDIA STREAMING EVER...The current router LINKSYS E4200 does a decent job but at times on my iphone or the tablet the media stops streaming at certain as what one may call dead spots... Also at times the link between the TV and PC is broken and I need to reconnect... The TV and PC are also on the two separate ends of the router and the furthest from the router.

If anyone can suggest any other model as well I am open to it bear in mind that option may not be easily available at decent prices..

Thanks and Regards

PRICING AT WHICH MODELS AVAILABLE HERE

AC87U - 230 USD
WRT1900AC - 235 USD
AC68U - 185 USD

Though price is final consideration..

Of the choices that you give, I'd pick the Asus RT-AC68U.

You might also look at the Netgear R7000, it has been a good choice for me. The R7000 has worked well with my various Apple mobile devices (iPads and iPhones), along with the usual run of wireless clients, laptops, Verizon Network Extender, Roku, Android phones, and so on. Wireless coverage, reliability, and performance all have been great for me. Wireless-ac works well with it. Don't know what it would cost in your area, though.

Couple of things...be sure to buy where you can return if whatever you get doesn't do what you need it to do. And read reviews of each router that you're considering to find out what you're getting into *smile*. This site has good reviews, the reviewer here is a very experienced, intelligent person that is methodical and thorough in his testing. And the routers are tested head-to-head, and ranked relative to each other, which gives you a feeling of how they stack up.

Last edited:
Of the choices that you give, I'd pick the Asus RT-AC68U.

You might also look at the Netgear R7000, it has been a good choice for me. The R7000 has worked well with my various Apple mobile devices (iPads and iPhones), along with the usual run of wireless clients, laptops, Verizon Network Extender, Roku, Android phones, and so on. Wireless coverage, reliability, and performance all have been great for me. Wireless-ac works well with it. Don't know what it would cost in your area, though.

Couple of things...be sure to buy where you can return if whatever you get doesn't do what you need it to do. And read reviews of each router that you're considering to find out what you're getting into *smile*. This site has good reviews, the reviewer here is a very experienced, intelligent person that is methodical and thorough in his testing. And the routers are tested head-to-head, and ranked relative to each other, which gives you a feeling of how they stack up.

thanks will look into netgear r7000 though the biggest issue in Dubai is once you bought it its yours you cant return it in most cases. If you return it you may be paying a fee of almost 20% as restocking fee. Will also see the reviews

Well then, you make as careful a choice as you can, that's for sure. However, 80% is better than having something that doesn't work for you. That would work for me as a last resort, as opposed to having an unused thing that I paid around $200 for...But returning isn't something that you plan to do, anyways, at least not me. I try to make the best choice first time. A lot less trouble that way.

I ended up buying WRT1900AC which I could return and ASUS RT-87U.. the 87U has completed bowled me the entire thing from the firmware settings to downloading a torrent to my hard drive to the ddns features all have been impressive. Also, the 5GHZ actually extends to the corner most area in my home and even my iphone can get the signal in the furthermost area. That is impressive. The WRT1900AC is good but its nothing in comparison to the RT-87U. I shall be sending it back to the merchant. I still have one more test to go and then I shall pronounce the winner but so far its the 87U.. hands down. I was just wondering what RMERLINS firmware would do once I flash it... waiting to test that soon too...