What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 Issues (Antenna Connector / SmartConnect)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BiggShooter

Regular Contributor
I just purchased the Asus RT-AC5300. I'm on the fence whether to return it or not (purchased from Amazon). I've had a few issues, and I'm hoping to get some input from as many users as possible.

Issue 1: A few (two) of the antenna "connectors" are loose. It's not the actual antenna itself, but the small connector the antenna connects to. I can actually "turn" the connector slightly from left to right / right to left. It seems the connector is loose from inside the Asus RT-AC5300. Has anyone had this issue? Is there simple fix? Should I send it back and request a new Asus RT-AC5300?

Issue 2: Smart Connect seems to work well however, a few devices have an issue connecting [with Smart Connect ENABLED]. I have the Nest Cam. When I reserve an IP address for the Nest Cam [and Smart Connect is ENABLED], it will NOT connect to any of the wifi radios. With no IP reservation assigned to the Nest Cam, it will connect to one of the 5GHz wifi radios. If I disable Smart Connect, the Nest Cam will connect with the reservation IP address I have assigned to the Nest Cam.

Issue 3: It seems w/ SmartConnect ENABLED or DISABLED, the balance between the two 5GHz radios is "lopsided". It seems that only one of the 5GHz radios (5GHz-1) allows just a few 5GHz devices, while the 5GHz-2 radio has the rest (8+ devices). Has anyone figured out how to get a better "balance" so that both 5GHz radios are balanced w/ connected devices?

I'm very impressed overall with the rest of the functionality of the Asus RT-AC5300. I'm just hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the following issues I've experienced. Thanks for taking time to provide a response. :)

I just purchased the Asus RT-AC5300. I'm on the fence whether to return it or not (purchased from Amazon). I've had a few issues, and I'm hoping to get some input from as many users as possible.

Issue 1: A few (two) of the antenna "connectors" are loose. It's not the actual antenna itself, but the small connector the antenna connects to. I can actually "turn" the connector slightly from left to right / right to left. It seems the connector is loose from inside the Asus RT-AC5300. Has anyone had this issue? Is there simple fix? Should I send it back and request a new Asus RT-AC5300?

Issue 2: Smart Connect seems to work well however, a few devices have an issue connecting [with Smart Connect ENABLED]. I have the Nest Cam. When I reserve an IP address for the Nest Cam [and Smart Connect is ENABLED], it will NOT connect to any of the wifi radios. With no IP reservation assigned to the Nest Cam, it will connect to one of the 5GHz wifi radios. If I disable Smart Connect, the Nest Cam will connect with the reservation IP address I have assigned to the Nest Cam.

Issue 3: It seems w/ SmartConnect ENABLED or DISABLED, the balance between the two 5GHz radios is "lopsided". It seems that only one of the 5GHz radios (5GHz-1) allows just a few 5GHz devices, while the 5GHz-2 radio has the rest (8+ devices). Has anyone figured out how to get a better "balance" so that both 5GHz radios are balanced w/ connected devices?

I'm very impressed overall with the rest of the functionality of the Asus RT-AC5300. I'm just hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the following issues I've experienced. Thanks for taking time to provide a response. :)
regarding issue 1, they're all flimsy like that. I had 2 of em.

Hold the antenna with one hand, then using the other hand tighten the screw from where the antenna comes until it's tight then release the antenna. if you turn the entire antenna it won't work so you need to turn / tighten the screw only

regarding issue 1, they're all flimsy like that. I had 2 of em.

Hold the antenna with one hand, then using the other hand tighten the screw from where the antenna comes until it's tight then release the antenna. if you turn the entire antenna it won't work so you need to turn / tighten the screw only

I went ahead and sent it back to Amazon and ordered a new 5300. Without the antenna connected, the 'antenna connector' was loose on the side of the 5300 and there was no way to resolve the issue without removing the case and inspecting the connector. Hopefully the new 5300 has no loose antenna connectors......

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!