What's new

ASUS RT-AC56U or TP-Link Archer C7 v2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nexus

Occasional Visitor
Been lurking SNB for a few months now and am about to purchase a new AC router for future proofing. I'm on a budget though, so trying to stay at $100 or less. My town will be getting FTTH later this summer and I need to upgrade my old, but reliable 9 yr. old Belkin G Plus MIMO router.

Presently I've found good (and not so good) reviews about these two particular AC models. I've read darn near every article SNB has put out on AC-related products and elsewhere on the web too, so I'm aware of all the benchmarking, personal experiences, etc. The ASUS and TP-Link models can be purchased for $90 and $94 respectively at the moment. Now I realize the ASUS model has 2.4ghz issues. I have 3 N devices (and no AC devices at the moment) that can function on the 5ghz band, which I plan to take full advantage of when I make my purchase.

So my question is, if it were you, which model would you purchase? My understanding is that both models can work with FOSS firmware if need be.

Thanks for your opinions.

Have you looked at the 2.4Ghz downlink comparisons on the TP Link? I don't know if they are V1 or V2, but the performance looks pretty bad to me.

Have you looked at the 2.4Ghz downlink comparisons on the TP Link? I don't know if they are V1 or V2, but the performance looks pretty bad to me.

Thanks for your reply.

My guess is the TP-Link review on SNB is v1? If so, I'm not sure if v2 improved it or not?

But the 2.4ghz downlink on SNB shows:
TP-Link = 71.9
Asus = 68.7

I'm also open to any other model suggestions, so long as it's under $100. Not too many AC products selling for less than $100 though.

That's the aggregate.

If you look at the downlink profile with attenuation, the TP-Link has serious problems. Total 2.4Ghz throughput drops to 20 at 45dB and at 57dB and beyond, throughput is 0 meaning it most likely can't even connect.

It doesn't say if it's the V1 or V2 though.

That's the aggregate.

If you look at the downlink profile with attenuation, the TP-Link has serious problems. Total 2.4Ghz throughput drops to 20 at 45dB and at 57dB and beyond, throughput is 0 meaning it most likely can't even connect.

It doesn't say if it's the V1 or V2 though.

Oh, okay I see what you were looking at. Well then, that's something else to consider.

The thing is, I plan to just use the 5ghz band since I don't have anymore legacy devices. Plus my thinking was since 2.4ghz is getting a bit crowded around my neighborhood, using 5ghz should alleviate that issue. So basically 2.4ghz isn't a priority for me right now. I'll attempt to use it as a last resort in any given situation. This will be just a basic home setup I have here.

So I take it you'd choose the ASUS then? Or is there another model I should check out?

If you're just going 5Ghz, I'd probably go with TP-Link but I'm probably not the best person to ask. I've never used TP-Link and my previous experience with Asus (the RT-N66U no less) was pretty frustrating.

If you're just going 5Ghz, I'd probably go with TP-Link but I'm probably not the best person to ask. I've never used TP-Link and my previous experience with Asus (the RT-N66U no less) was pretty frustrating.

Thanks anyway. I noticed you mentioned issues with previous ASUS models in your Edimax thread. That's what I'm hoping I can avoid with my next purchase. It's a risk regardless. Just have to hope for the best.

I got 4 solid years out of my WNDR3700 and I've had so much good luck with Netgear products over the years that I dove headfirst into the R7000. The R7000 is a beast, really. But it's just got so many minor flaws and Netgear doesn't seem to have a clue at all.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I got 4 solid years out of my WNDR3700 and I've had so much good luck with Netgear products over the years that I dove headfirst into the R7000. The R7000 is a beast, really. But it's just got so many minor flaws and Netgear doesn't seem to have a clue at all.

As always, your mileage may vary.

It's funny because my neighbor has the ASUS RT-AC68U and I demo'ed it earlier this year. He swears by ASUS products. He called me today to let me know that the AC56U was on sale for $90 so I'm really going back-and-forth on whether I should get it or not? Decisions, decisions.

Funny thing is my Belkin G Plus MIMO router has been such a great little router for 9 years. Straightforward, basic and dependable as heck. I'll miss it when I make this next purchase, but man, I have no complaints about it at all. It just works.

Seems like quality control is the issue with the "latest & greatest" but that's true for just about everything in life. These things need time to mature, and I'm well aware of that going forward with this next purchase. I just hope it can become just as reliable and headache-free as my Belkin.

The other key, as I've discovered during this latest R7000 process, has nothing to do with the actual box and everything to do with the company that made it.

Netgear's support is pretty much awful anymore. They release firmware about every 2 months and their techs throw darts at the wall instead of actually digging into issues.

The support process has been even more frustrating than the router itself.

It's funny because my neighbor has the ASUS RT-AC68U and I demo'ed it earlier this year. He swears by ASUS products. He called me today to let me know that the AC56U was on sale for $90 so I'm really going back-and-forth on whether I should get it or not? Decisions, decisions.

I am also stuck between the C7 and the AC56U but I DO want 2.4ghz to work well… I have reinforced concrete walls and not sure that 5ghz will penetrate well.

Reports of poor 2.4ghz performance with the AC56U on this forum http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15833 and at Amazon put me off:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJW1URBTZ5IUD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt/186-5705374-7005662#RJW1URBTZ5IUD

Im not sure if the Asus problem is hardware or firmware related so I guess I have to wait a bit. Every router I have looked at seems to have some sort of problem. Or am I being too picky?

Can you post back later about what you went with and the results please?

Last edited by a moderator:
The other key, as I've discovered during this latest R7000 process, has nothing to do with the actual box and everything to do with the company that made it.

Netgear's support is pretty much awful anymore. They release firmware about every 2 months and their techs throw darts at the wall instead of actually digging into issues.

The support process has been even more frustrating than the router itself.

That also worries me. I've read all sorts of horror stories on just about every router company in existence. That's just an overall management failure. Customer support across the board is pretty lackluster these days, regardless of industry. So yeah, I'm aware of this as well.

I am also stuck between the C7 and the AC56U but I DO want 2.4ghz to work well… I have reinforced concrete walls and not sure that 5ghz will penetrate well.

Reports of poor 2.4ghz performance with the AC56U on this forum and at Amazon put me off:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJW1URBTZ5IUD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt/186-5705374-7005662#RJW1URBTZ5IUD

I know. It's too bad really. I feel for those who spent a ton of money on the ASUS only to be let down like that. Same with the TP-Link. Some people get lucky and have no issues while others have the worst luck. It's all hit and miss.

Why else would they add 3 extra externals?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr7500

V2

c7-2.png

V1

c7-1.png

I just scoured Amazon (where I will be buying my router due to having a credit) as well as the TP-Link website.

I'm not sure the V2 is available in the US yet. The TP-Link global English website does not list the V2 anywhere. Everything is V1 branded.

The only page I can find for the V2 is in Chinese.

The V2 does indeed have 2.4Ghz externals. Very strange configuration.

p2.jpg

I just scoured Amazon (where I will be buying my router due to having a credit) as well as the TP-Link website.

I'm not sure the V2 is available in the US yet. The TP-Link global English website does not list the V2 anywhere. Everything is V1 branded.

The only page I can find for the V2 is in Chinese.

The V2 does indeed have 2.4Ghz externals. Very strange configuration.

Hmm, that's strange, because the person who snapped pics of his v1 and v2 in that other thread doesn't show those extra 3 antennae? I'm intrigued.