What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U - One Step Down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dweiss

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for a new router and generally like the feature set of the ASUS RT-AC66U. By this I mean the router's software, the USB ports, FTP features, etc. However, I would like to find something cheaper and I do not particularly care about the "AC" standard, since I have no AC capable devices, nor do I know of any coming to market that I care about.

So, my question is this: What is the next router "down the list" from the RT-AC66U, that will give me basically the same feature set, but without the AC support, and is the price difference significant?

Thanks,

-Danny
Danny Weiss
E-mail Contact Page - Danny Weiss

First step down is the RT-AC56U (usually 20-30$ cheaper). Still has AC, but only dual-stream. If FTP/USB is an important feature for you, this would actually give you better disk performance.

After that, it's the RT-N66U. Exact same thing as AC66U, but only 802.11n.

First step down is the RT-AC56U (usually 20-30$ cheaper). Still has AC, but only dual-stream. If FTP/USB is an important feature for you, this would actually give you better disk performance. After that, it's the RT-N66U. Exact same thing as AC66U, but only 802.11n.

Am I correct that the better disk performance you refer to for the RT-AC56U stems from it use of a USB-3 port?

And, are you saying that the RT-N66U is a three stream device, like the RT-AC66U?

Thanks,

--Danny

Am I correct that the better disk performance you refer to for the RT-AC56U stems from it use of a USB-3 port?

And, are you saying that the RT-N66U is a three stream device, like the RT-AC66U?

Thanks,

--Danny

If you don't care about ac, then rt-n66u could be for you. It is capable of three-stream wireless, can go up to 450Mbps on a wireless connection (mostly used on 5GHz, since in most locations 2.4GHz. is too busy for 40MHz channel width connections, but the capability is there if you can use it). That's the router that I have, and it really works well, strong wireless performer, great range. Highly recommended.

Thanks,

--Danny

USB3 but also the faster CPU. On the RT-AC66U the bottleneck is the CPU.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!