What's new

Asus RT-AC66U or Linksys EA6500? Or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TechNerdCA

New Around Here
Hi all,

I was going to respond to this threat http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8789, but I wasn't sure if that was appropriate or not, especially since that's a few months old, so I started a new thread.

thiggins suggests not buying either one right now, so in response to his post there, I have the following question (with accompanying info):

The thread inked above has made my choice for a router for a client more difficult as I was deciding between these two based on instructions to go with a premium router that essentially future proofs his home network. It appears that these routers may do that, and they may not, based on your advice here. So throwing future proof out the window, but wanting the router to be used for 3-5 years or so, and needing to cover the basement and 2 floors above of an approximatly 4500 sq. ft. home built in the last 7-10 years or so and a cable connection of about 75Mbps download, with about 10 wireless devices (laptops, tablets, smartphones), what is the best premium router you would recommend, budget is less than C$200 (basically equivalent to US$200).

In the past I would have picked the Linksys because I knew what to expect, but I haven't been impressed as much with them since Cisco took over and I've never used or installed an Asus. The Asus is appealing as it appears to have a 2 year warranty, which is nice.

Oh, I should mention that this is replacing a DLink (not sure of the model but it does have 3 small antennas, so I assume it's an N or G with MIMO), which replaced the built in router on the cable modem from Rogers Cable, an SMC D3GN, both give very spotty coverage, and poor performance. Currently I have a spare Cradlepoint MBR1200 (I was no longer using it as it's not fully compatible with my LTE stick) that I put in there (without the external antennas) and it works fine. There is a WAP54G with a D-Link high gain antenna on the main floor also, which was a different SSID, but switched it to the same SSID on a different channel. The issues with the the SMC built in router (modem is in bridge mode obviously) and the DLink were all experienced even with the WAP54G in use.

I was considering the D-Link DIR-845L with SmartBeam but can only get it's single band little brother here in Toronto (must be able to buy locally).

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Thanks,
Daniel