What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U can't set up VPN connection.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rotorhead8

New Around Here
Hey all, somewhat of a rookie here, trying to set up a PPTP VPN to access my NAS outside my home network and I'm not sure where to start with the troubleshooting. I've followed all of the tutorials I can find from ASUS, although most are outdated compared to the firmware on my router (3.0.0.4.347_542) and have followed them to the best of my ability. I just still can't seem to get it properly set up. I already have a DDNS set up through no-ip.

Here is my setup:
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U (3.0.0.4.347_542) <-- AMAZING router BTW
ISP: AT&T Uverse, 3801HGV AIO, set up to run a modified bridge mode following this tutorial: http://soc.att.com/1cZVIeN
NAS: Buffalo LS421 NAS
DDNS through no-ip.com

These are the settings I currently have set in the VPN section of my router:
gQDzx5S.png

and

HvrVgis.png

I am also running everything on a DDNS host already as well through no-ip.com.

With those settings, I keep getting this message when trying to connect the VPN:

YyEaAf6.png

Am I missing any other areas?

Thank you in advance for all your help! I have a basic knowledge of networking and I am doing my best to soak up all the knowledge I can!

Last edited:
Your three last links do not work.

PPTP can sometimes be a little fussy. It's also not especially secure.

Did you port forward port 1723 to the PC being used as the server?

I had a couple of problems with PPTP and did some research. I never tried the solutions out though because I preferred to create a certificate using OpenSSL and use a secure SSTP oriented connection.

The problem is that the PPTP forwarding built into the router MIGHT conflict with the port forwarding used when you redirect port 1723. The solution I read was to redirect port 1723 to your router address and then the router PPTP passthrough would send it to the correct machine. Tell me if it works.

Also, the DDNS provided by Asus is free and works OK. I had no problems with it for basic DDNS service.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you go?

Hi

Just wondering if you ever got your VPN working? I've got a similar issue to you (same router) but can't get it working.

I'm using a Windows 8 machine as my NAS / share. I can seem to connect to it via port forwarding (1732) but I still can't access my share.

When I remove the port forward, I can't get the ASUS VPN working ether. I'm tearing my hair out.

Do you have Uverse? That was my problem the whole time. I had to figure out how to get the public IP sent to my router. Let me know if that's the case and I'll dig up the tut I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk