What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U CPU heats up near 100C

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pecx

New Around Here
I have ASUS RT-AC68U, and under load CPU heats up to 97C. I'm pretty sure this hell-like tempreatures for this router. Is there any variants to fix this, at least cool down this beast to ~70C?

Don't bother with it. The AC68U is listed as end of life by Asus. Chuck it and move on.
You mean i have no choice rather than buying new router? That sucks. There is no ways to replace thermal paste somehow or add fan to it? I don't have the ability right now to buy myself a
new router.

You are knowingly exposing yourself to security threats. Flash a third party firmware from ddwrt, tomato, or openwrt (wifi won't work with openwrt).

If you are okay with the third party firmware, then read the threads already posted on this topic for a potential fix for heat issues:

There is no ways to replace thermal paste somehow or add fan to it?

It has thermal transfer pad between the heatsink and the CPU die. No paste. It's replaceable, but you have to disassemble the router and find right thickness replacement. Using fans is popular choice, no router disassembly needed. There are ready made kits with USB plug, but you can DIY something similar.

1726698252365.png

The one above is $12 on Amazon USA.

It has thermal transfer pad between the heatsink and the CPU die. No paste. It's replaceable, but you have to disassemble the router and find right thickness replacement. Using fans is popular choice, no router disassembly needed. There are ready made kits with USB plug, but you can DIY something similar.

View attachment 61547

The one above is $12 on Amazon USA.
Should i worry about dust inside then?

Last edited:
Should i worry about dust then?

It will accumulate some dust over time like every device with forced air flow. Worry about it - no. Clean the fans and the back from time to time. What you need is to prolong the life of your router. It's 2013 hardware and you perhaps don't plan to use it until 2033 anyway.

I have ASUS RT-AC68U, and under load CPU heats up to 97C. I'm pretty sure this hell-like tempreatures for this router. Is there any variants to fix this, at least cool down this beast to ~70C?
What does "under load" mean?
How are you putting the router under load?
Are you using the router as a NAS with USB drive connected to the router?
What firmware is the router running?
If running Asus-Merlin, what addon scripts are you running?
What router services (like AiProtection, VPN, Traffic Analyzer, or other features) are you running on the router?
Where is the router located? Does it have adequate air circulation?

Like others have indicated, the router is over 10 years old and is End of Life by Asus. You can attempt to use fans directed at the router, or cut more cooling holes in the case, or check, use or replace, any thermal pads/paste on the unit's chips if any. But at the end of the day the old router is what it is.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!