What's new

Asus RT-AX3000 Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

veroikeb

Occasional Visitor
I don't know what to make of the following log, as the device with <redacted_mac_address> disconnects all by itself.

Code:
Aug 21 14:43:34 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev archer
Aug 21 14:43:46 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth5: Deauth_ind <REDACTED_MAC_ADDRESS>, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Aug 21 14:43:46 hostapd: eth5: STA <redacted_mac_address> IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Aug 21 14:43:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth5: Auth <REDACTED_MAC_ADDRESS>, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Aug 21 14:43:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): eth5: Assoc <REDACTED_MAC_ADDRESS>, status: Successful (0), rssi:-73
Aug 21 14:43:47 hostapd: eth5: STA <redacted_mac_address> IEEE 802.11: associated
Aug 21 14:43:48 hostapd: eth5: STA <redacted_mac_address> RADIUS: starting accounting session 942C24C68CCABD12
Aug 21 14:43:48 hostapd: eth5: STA <redacted_mac_address> WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Aug 21 14:43:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[11863]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.50.56 <redacted_mac_address>
Aug 21 14:43:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[11863]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.50.56 <redacted_mac_address> android-<redacted_device_identifier>
Aug 21 14:43:51 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev archer

Is this an issue with device or I can make changes in router's Wi-Fi's "Professional" settings to ensure that the device doesn't get kicked out, should it be getting disconnected due to router's fault?

update: I disabled Roaming Assistant under "Professional" settings. My next question is - why is "Roaming Assistant" enabled by default for signal strength threshold of -70 dBm? Is it okay to disable this setting?

Last edited:
Ah yes, my mistake. I misread the source code. It's enabled by default if your router is AiMesh capable. To your original question, yes it's safe to turn it off if your prefer (I do so myself).

That is the default.
Don't you think it should be disabled even if the router is AiMesh capable?

Also, what's with `kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev archer`?

Don't you think it should be disabled even if the router is AiMesh capable?
It looks like I'll have to retract my previous statement. Whether it's on or off appears to change depending on the specific model and firmware release. For my RT-AC68U it's always defaulted to off (I've just tested this again). IIRC that was also the case for my RT-AX86U in the past but I can't be sure if/when that changed.

Should it be disabled by default? I'd guess that Asus' thinking is that more and more people will be using their routers in mesh setups with mobile devices so it makes sense for them.

Also, what's with `kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev archer`?
No idea. Seems to be a common message for that model from what I've seen on these forums.

Last edited:
\
It looks like I'll have to retract my previous statement. Whether it's on or off appears to change depending on the specific model and firmware release. For my RT-AC68U it's always defaulted to off (I've just tested this again). IIRC that was also the case for my RT-AX86U in the past but I can't be sure if/when that changed.

Should it be disabled by default? I'd guess that Asus' thinking is that more and more people will be using their routers in mesh setups with mobile devices so it makes sense for them.

It should be off by default, at least for RT-AX3000. Imagine how flabbergasted users would be when they think that their router's Wi-Fi radio wave transmission is weak, while the reality is that the router disconnects from clients when the signal strength drops below - 70 dBm ... !!

No idea. Seems to be a common message for that model from what I've seen on these forums.

Yeah, I found someone else on SNB complaining about it, and it's being said this is more of a "cosmetic" issue in error log. But I'd like to get to the bottom of what this "protocol 0000 is buggy" manifest from - if it's memory leak or unstable kernel code ...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!