What's new

Asus rt-ax86 pro channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
See screenshot please router on a certain channel but two apps saying I'm on a completely different channel

Attachments

• FunPic_20240904_170450749.jpg
    FunPic_20240904_170450749.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 38
See screenshot please router on a certain channel but two apps saying I'm on a completely different channel

What 5-1 channel does the router Wireless Log report as currently active?

OE

You are good. Both show channel 36 as main channel at 80 MHz bandwidth

You are good. Both show channel 36 as main channel at 80 MHz bandwidth
You need to look at the beginning of my post how is it be good I set the channel to 64 but two apps are saying I'm on channel 36

I don't even have 80 mhz on I have it set for 160mhz only, off topic question my oneplus 12 is capable of 160mhz why is router pushing on 80mhz to it

Last edited:
Replying with screenshot

So, the router 5-1 band is using control chanel 36 and 80MHz bandwidth. Your settings, 64/160, are not being used, "Channel cleared for radar: 64/160"... DFS has forced the router away from using 64/160.

I would stop trying to use DFS at your location. Set a non-DFS control channel and 20/40/80 or 80MHz bandwidth.

OE

So, the router 5-1 band is using control chanel 36 and 80MHz bandwidth. Your settings, 64/160, are not being used, "Channel cleared for radar: 64/160"... DFS has forced the router away from using 64/160.

I would stop trying to use DFS at your location. Set a non-DFS control channel and 20/40/80 or 80MHz bandwidth.

OE
Thread 'Difficulties maintaining 160 MHz channel bandwidth' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/difficulties-maintaining-160-mhz-channel-bandwidth.84345/

OE
Ohhh it's being a punk and doing it's on thing SMH I don't like the speeds I get with having 20/40/80 or just 80MHz bandwidth.

Ohhh it's being a punk and doing it's on thing

No, it's not doing what 'punk' means. What it's doing, DFS, has already been explained to you in a previous discussion.

OE

In the long run your WIFI will work better set to 80 MHz and non DFS channels. If you must try 160 MHz set the bandwidth to 20-40-80-160 and the channel to Auto with DFS enabled. Then if you get hit by RADAR. your router has a fallback.

In the long run your WIFI will work better set to 80 MHz and non DFS channels. If you must try 160 MHz set the bandwidth to 20-40-80-160 and the channel to Auto with DFS enabled. Then if you get hit by RADAR. your router has a fallback.

Judging from the OP's example, setting a 'fixed' DFS control channel 64 and 160MHz bandwidth did not prevent the firmware from falling back to 'auto' behavior to maintain wireless service... in this case, non-DFS control channel 36 and 80MHz max bandwidth.

But no telling what the next firmware release might do.

OE

Thanks for answering there was another post from 2023 about this and there I read of some people's channels that they have been using on 160mhz only this person has been using same channel for 2 years no issues I've already set my router to same channel so let's see

Judging from the OP's example, setting a 'fixed' DFS control channel 64 and 160MHz bandwidth did not prevent the firmware from falling back to 'auto' behavior to maintain wireless service... in this case, non-DFS control channel 36 and 80MHz max bandwidth.

But no telling what the next firmware release might do.

OE
I considered that and have seen that behavior before. But, the OP is ignoring our recommendations and will continue to have problems forcing 160 MHz. Their option.

we have a small airport 1.7 miles away and Navy Base 11 miles away, because of this factors am I just not going to be able to find a channel to permanently use on the 160mhz??? Every time I get home from work router is not broadcasting 160mhz anymore....
I haven't gone through every channel btw but what do you think will I just be wasting time trying to find a channel that won't get changed?????

Yeah we have a small airport 1.7 miles away and Navy Base 11 miles away, because of this factors am I just not going to be able to find a channel to permanently use on the 160mhz??? Every time I get home from work router is not broadcasting 160mhz anymore....
I haven't gone through every channel btw but what do you think will I just be wasting time trying to find a channel that won't get changed?????
Well, you are trying too hard. 160 MHz is not for every location. The best you can do is to set the 5 GHz to Auto Channel, enable DFS and set the bandwidth to 20-40-80-160 MHz and let the router try to max out. You may get 160 MHz sometimes but working with 80 MHz isn't so bad as it is faster than your GIG LAN Ethernet ports. And, the range is better at 80 MHz!

FWIW, I live in the path of a couple of airports. Once in a while my router would get bounced by RADAR but it would. in time, go back to 160 MHz. The fun bounce is when a WWII B-29 flew over low and my router detected its RADAR! I did not mind that a bit.

Well, you are trying too hard. 160 MHz is not for every location. The best you can do is to set the 5 GHz to Auto Channel, enable DFS and set the bandwidth to 20-40-80-160 MHz and let the router try to max out. You may get 160 MHz sometimes but working with 80 MHz isn't so bad as it is faster than your GIG LAN Ethernet ports. And, the range is better at 80 MHz!

FWIW, I live in the path of a couple of airports. Once in a while my router would get bounced by RADAR but it would. in time, go back to 160 MHz. The fun bounce is when a WWII B-29 flew over low and my router detected its RADAR! I did not mind that a bit.
See I appreciate this answer this is the proper way to respond thank you and yes I'm gonna have to just do what you are saying to do....

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!