What's new

Asus - RT-AX88U - USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk - Problem when enabling Allow guest login

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Benjamin1904

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

hope my poast is right here. At first I want to explain my target picture: I want to create a network disk space which should be reachable from all computers and TVs in the Network. To reach this I used on my Asus Router the "USB Application - Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"

My Firmware is: Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19

The current preferences looks like this:

1722247442328.png

If I use this preferences the disk is reachable from my Windows 10 Computer and I also find it in my Android TV. As soon as I change the preferences and allow the guest login, the hard disk is not reachable anymore.

1722247468846.png

The error Message is (example picture, because my language is german, but error is the same). I get also an error message on my AndroidTV. So I am sure, the Problem. is in the router and not on my computer:

1722247484660.png

Does anyone know whats the problem here and why this happened? For my understanding with the preference "allow guest login" everybody in the network should acces the hard disk.

Thx in advance

Last edited:
My Firmware is: Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19
Welcome.
384.19 is very old firmware (14-Aug-2020). The current Asus-Merlin firmware for the RT-AX88U is 3004.388.8. You really should update unless there is a specific reason you are staying with that very old firmware. Update to the latest firmware and retest to see if your issue is still present.

When Guest Login is disabled, can you reach the network Share using the IP address of the router rather than the router name?
In certain cases when using SMB1.0 on the router, one may have to enable SMBv1.0 in the Windows Features section of Windows.
And disable (set to No) the Set as WINS server option and see if the issue persists.

Hi Bennor,

thx for your help so far.
  • Yes, I can reach the network share by using the IP address when guest login is disabled
  • Due to the fact that I doesn't reach the share A) From my Computer and B) From my Android TV when Guest Login is activated, I am sure, that this isn't a Windows / Computer Problem
  • Disable "Set as WINS Server" doesn't help
In the evening I will upgrade to the latest firmware to see if this helps...

• Due to the fact that I doesn't reach the share A) From my Computer and B) From my Android TV when Guest Login is activated, I am sure, that this isn't a Windows / Computer Problem
It can be if the computer or android TV default to using SMB2.0 or SMB3.0. Microsoft and likely others have depreciated SMB1.0 due to security reasons. In doing so it may make access to network shares using SMB1.0 difficult. For example cannot reach a SMB1.0 network share by router name but can reach it by router IP address. For Windows, one has to typically manually reenable the SMB1.0 option in the Windows Add/Remove program features section since Microsoft disables that setting in new installs and through patch updates.

One can experiment if setting the Samba protocol version setting to SMBv2 works for the SMB1.0 issue.

What ever the cause, you should update to the current latest firmware first and see if the issue is resolved.

PS: Also do a router reboot as well, as a troubleshooting step, after making changes to the router settings.