What's new

Asus RT-N56U or wait for RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blueyedsoul

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've been browsing the site for a while, but this is my first time posting. I really enjoy the resources that are provided here, but I'm still a little unsure about the best solution for my upgrade needs.

My situation is this: I currently own a Linksys WRT-310N router, which I believe is not operating sufficiently to meet the needs of my home network. Specifically, the devices that are furthest from the router (~50-60 feet + walls) will frequently experience dropouts in the wireless signal. These can last from a couple of seconds to hours at a time, even to the point where the device can no longer detect the SSID broadcast. This mainly affects my wife's gaming computer to the point she can not play online due to the frequent drops.

I like the tested range and throughput that have been reported for the Asus RT-N56U, but I'm concerned about its lack of IPv6 support. I live in Kansas City, so I'm lucky enough to be in the potential range for Google Fiber when it launches, and I know that will support IPv6. This is a tough topic to find much consistent info on, so I might be looking at it entirely wrong, but do I need an IPv6 router to communicate with an IPv6 ISP? Are there advantages I would lose out on if I only have IPv4 support? These are reasons why I would consider waiting for the RT-N66U. The increased bandwidth isn't a primary concern since I don't have the devices/adapters to take advantage of it, nor are the extra features like guest SSID.

My priorities:
* Range
* Stability
* Near Future Compatibility

My network:
1 laptop, wired connection, always on
1 desktop with 802.11n dual-band (n600) adapter, ~50 feet and 1/2 story away, frequent use
1 PS3 (802.11g), ~50 feet and 1/2 story away, frequent use
Additional android phone, e-readers, and laptop connected infrequently (mobile)

One last note: although I've read good things about this Asus line, if you have other suggestions as well, I'm open to them. Thanks!

Sorry, one other quick point I forgot: I realize the RT-N66U has been released, but I can't find anyone who actually has it in stock that isn't charging an arm and a leg over the $180 that it costs on Amazon and Newegg. As far as I've been able to find, it looks like the next shipment from Asus won't be until late February, so that's why I asked about "waiting" for it.

I'm debating the same issue right now. If the 66 doesn't become available soon I'll have not choice but to get the 56. I will need a router in the next week. Waiting will not be possible beyond that.