What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blairclaude

New Around Here
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.2050
Modified:
1. Allowed LAN stateful settings for DHCP6.
2. Allowed manually scan after resetting.
3. Modified DMZ settings in load-balanced mode.
4. Modified virtual server settings in load balanced mode.
5. Modified some FAQ hyperlinks.
6. Modified configurations of WeTelecom WM-D300.

Fixes:
1. Fixed several UI issues.
2. Fixed download master install issue.
3. Fixed VPN client DNS issues.
4. Fixed open VPN manual client list setting issues.
5. Fixed PPPoE throughput issues.
6. Fixed media-server related issues.
7. Fixed httpd vulnerably issues.

Additions:
1. Add new Malaysia 3G ISP in USB modem.
2. Add media-bridge mode.
3. Add OpenVPN, VPN Client.
4. Enable WPS under AP mode.

And yet again another new Asus firmware and no ipv6 firewall way to go Asus. :confused: Without Merlin I do believe Asus would have trouble selling routers.

I have 3 questions:

1) I would have thought that firewall tab would have been for both ipv4 and ipv6

now that you mentioned it, I took a look and the only thing that I noticed is that in "Network Services Filter" tab you can only add ipv4

in this case shouldn't firewall work also with IPv6 but without giving you the opportunity to filter out ip ?

I know this makes a big difference but I am asking just to understand if at least we have a basic firewall working on ipv6 or not

2) I see SambaShare has a problem with port 445 on AC56/AC68U (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14660), is it affecting also RT66U ?

I have checked with ShieldsUP and it seems every ported is hiddden, is it enough or shall I check something else ?

3) I have seen they have added OpenVPN, is it the same code implemented by Merlin ?

I usually prefer to stay with official firmware, but I see that Merlin firmware has some neat features

I am far from being a power user, I guess even the basic options for OpenVPN are enough for me, but I would like to know if, in this sense, it doesn't make any difference staying with Asus firmware or it's better to go with Merlin from a security point of view

Looks like another worthless FW upgrade by Asus. Asus is starting to disappoint me.

I upgraded the device here and will report back if I notice any issues. What were you expecting that the lack of caused you to be disappointed?

I upgraded the device here and will report back if I notice any issues. What were you expecting that the lack of caused you to be disappointed?

I upgraded also and I am just curious about the 2.4 GHz wi-fi range. I will do some testing later today using inSSIDer on signal strength. It has been 4 months since they jacked up the 2.4 GHz signal and still haven't fixed it.

I tried the new version and my wireless performance dropped. On my laptop using 2.4 Ghz on inSSiDer I saw the bar drop up and down. On my Nexus 7 tablet using 5 Ghz in rooms where I use to get 3 bars it dropped down to 2 or 1 bars.

I then put the .979 version back on there again and it was fine. For the heck of it I tried the newest Merlin build and it was even worse so I went back to stock .979.

I tried the new version and my wireless performance dropped. On my laptop using 2.4 Ghz on inSSiDer I saw the bar drop up and down. On my Nexus 7 tablet using 5 Ghz in rooms where I use to get 3 bars it dropped down to 2 or 1 bars.

I then put the .979 version back on there again and it was fine. For the heck of it I tried the newest Merlin build and it was even worse so I went back to stock .979.

You need to do a factory default reset when switching wireless drivers, otherwise your lowlevel settings will be all messed up.

You need to do a factory default reset when switching wireless drivers, otherwise your lowlevel settings will be all messed up.

Do you do a factory reset after or prior to installing the firmware? And how would you do a factory reset?

I am interested in trying out your firmware and just want to know the proper procedure to installing your firmware to get the best performance.

easiest way to go about doing things is;

flash the firmware at Administration > Firmware Upgrade, then under

Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting

click 'Restore', next to Factory default

do flash the firmware from a machine connected over a wired interface, though. better safe than sorry

I tried the new firmware and merlins firmware doing a factory reset everytime and even changing antennas and my range still was not as good as it was with 3.0.0.4.374.979.

Is there anyway in the router page that you can disable the check for updates? Forgive me but I looked and I could not find it.

have you tried using a new ssid or deleting the wireless profile (assuming you are using a windows client)

I tried the new firmware and merlins firmware doing a factory reset everytime and even changing antennas and my range still was not as good as it was with 3.0.0.4.374.979.

Is there anyway in the router page that you can disable the check for updates? Forgive me but I looked and I could not find it.

You might be the only one in this forum who likes .979. Myself and many others have seen a drop in .979 compared to .276. I believe .979 and .2050 have the same SDK6 wireless driver.

You might be the only one in this forum who likes .979. Myself and many others have seen a drop in .979 compared to .276. I believe .979 and .2050 have the same SDK6 wireless driver.

Well I read up here about SDK5 and I installed the latest Merlin version of it .35_4 and saw a bigger difference in signal strength. I am new here so forgive me I am learning about networking but is Merlin planing on updating the newer builds with SDK5. Thanks.

Although there are a couple of issues with the latest RMerlin 374.38_1-em version which won't be an issue for simple wireless and wired networking, it is the best version yet for the RT-N66U.

The SDK5 versions are no longer updated, mostly because the firmware is broken with the newer fixed (trying) to be incorporated.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=98452&postcount=150

Make sure you do a reset to defaults after loading the new firmware for the best range and throughput possible with the -em version.

Did a reset. To tell the truth I don't care if it is updated as long as my 2.4 & 5 Ghz are strong and stable.

I just bought an RT-66W for a friend and flashed it with .979 firmware. Would it be a better idea to go with the latest .2050 release?

My friend is unlikely to touch the router once installed....

@sm00thpapa and @msb: how is the 2050 release performing for you? Any feedback on signal strength or range?

Last edited:
.2050 seems to be working well for me. .276 still has better range if you really, really need it.