What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071
Network map new features :
1.System status can now show CPU and RAM usage.
2.Client status can show wireless clients signal strength.
3.Client icon is changeable.
4.Client name is changeable and parental control, QoS, manually assigned IP, static route, port forwarding client list can also refer to this name.

Security related :
1. Upgrade OpenSSL library from 1.0.0d to 1.0.0m

Bug fix:
1. Fixed IPv6 and some VDSL modem compatibility issues.
2. Fixed 3G/ 4G dongle compatibility issues for some Huawei dongles.
3. Fixed secondary wan setting issues in dual wan fail over mode.
4. Fixed traffic monitor display issues.
5. Daylight saving time can be manually adjusted.

Download master 3.1.0.88
1. Improved GUI response time.
2. Improved download speed.
3. A torrent downloading task may include multiple files and user can choose which files should be downloaded.

Asus did not forget their RT-N66U customers (sorry RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U owners).

Still a 3.0.0.4 version, but after almost a year it went from .374 to .376.
The build number made right away a giant leap from nothing to 1071.
It loaded without problems over the previous version 3.0.0.4.374.5517, I have not done a hard reset (yet).
Eye catching is the new Client status overview, with Tabs for "Online", "Wired" and "Wireless". The Wireless devices show a Signal Strenght indicator (like in the Windows Task bar), you can click a Client and see some details and wooooohhh...change its pictogram.
And next to the 2.4GHZ and 5GHz Tabs, there is a Status Tab showing CPU usage and Memory Usage.

Nifty is the manual DST setting option.

Hopefully it also really contains performance enhancements besides the above mentioned visual enhancements.

DFS and TPC on 5 GHz seems still missing, hence only 4 (four) 5 GHz channels in Europe.

Last edited:
Asus did not forget their RT-N66U customers (sorry RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U owners).

Still a 3.0.0.4 version, but after almost a year it went from .374 to .376.
The build number made right away a giant leap from nothing to 1071.
It loaded without problems over the previous version 3.0.0.4.374.5517, I have not done a hard reset (yet).
Eye catching is the new Client status overview, with Tabs for "Online", "Wired" and "Wireless". The Wireless devices show a Signal Strenght indicator (like in the Windows Task bar), you can click a Client and see some details and wooooohhh...change its pictogram.

More than that, you can actually rename your devices on that page. This makes it easier for you to recognize devices on other pages where you must select a device through a dropdown. This is similar to what was already in my firmware, except Asus is manageing it separately rather than inserting it in the DHCP configuration.

Note however that the name there is ONLY for identification on the webui - it does not affect the hostname provided to DHCP.

Part of the reason for the large build number increase is Asus were also doing a lot of work at the same time toward the RT-AC87/RT-AC3200 support, plus some other features that have yet to appear in public releases.

The features you see on this RT-N66U release are just the tip of the iceberg.

Happy to see a firmware release for the N66U. Waiting for the N66W release hopefully today.

Happy to see a firmware release for the N66U. Waiting for the N66W release hopefully today.

Exact same hardware (and firmware). You can flash the RT-N66U firmware.

Exact same hardware (and firmware). You can flash the RT-N66U firmware.

Thanks Merlin. I was just hesitant due to when I flashed .270 from the N66U it bricked my N66W. But that was older firmware guess I'll flash it now. Thanks.

I guess sm00thpapa expects negative colors in the giu of the RT-N66W :)
And I think the RT-N66W uses the newer flashrom, requiring firmware .272 or newer.

Last edited:
I don't see the ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071 link to download from their website nor in the router's update page.

I don't see the ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071 link to download from their website nor in the router's update page.

Go to the page and while there refresh it. That's what I had to do and it showed up.

Their server cluster can sometime take up to a day before all their members display the updated list of download links. Give it until tomorrow, also make sure to use the US site.

The automatic version check doesn't automatically get updated to the newest version. For instance, it's a good idea to wait to ensure there is no major issue before you start automatically pushing new updates to everyone.

Merlin, will you be making a version of this with the new features?

Eventually. I already got 376_1088 merged in since last weekend, but there are still a lot of things to work on. There's a lot of major changes that are clashing with my own changes, that will force me to make some design decisions.

I tried this firmware vs. Merlin's 43 and I didn't like it at all.

My 2.4 GHz range went from -37 to -45 and my 5 GHz(lower band) went from -56 to -67

I don't remember seeing so much of a drop with the other stock Asus firmwares.

Stock RT-N66U will probably always have lower range than mine, due to the special driver build I'm using for this specific model.

Was there a driver update in the new firmware?

Does not appear to be.

Firmware 374.5517
6.30 RC163.2002
wl0: Feb 12 2014 16:32:36 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Firmware 376.1071
6.30 RC163.2002
wl0: Jun 16 2014 19:31:20 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Does not appear to be.

Firmware 374.5517
6.30 RC163.2002
wl0: Feb 12 2014 16:32:36 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Firmware 376.1071
6.30 RC163.2002
wl0: Jun 16 2014 19:31:20 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)

Thank you KevTech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where you change the device name you can also select a different icon for your device by clicking on the icon to the left.

A list of icons will appear that you can select from.

Attachments

• icon.jpg
    icon.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 648