What's new

Asus RT-N66U wired performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KidKB

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I registered here to learn more about wireless networking as I continue to build my own at home...So please bear with my lack of knowledge and for making another thread about the Asus router.

Anyhow, I noticed that anything plugged in the gigabit ports on the router have terrible streaming performance. I first noticed when I plugged my xbox 360 into it and tried to stream Hulu plus. When using a cat6 cable directly to the router the videos seem to constantly break up and I even get messages saying the service (hulu plus) isn't available. I was previously using a Netgear router and didn't have any problems at all. However, if I disconnect the xbox and join it to the 2.4ghz band wireless network, it is smooth as butter.

I tested this with my laptop as well and received similar results. So I guess my question more or less is this: Is there anything I possibly may be overlooking in the router setup that could be the problem? Or does it sound like it may be more of a hardware issue?

Just to clarify, I do have the latest firmware as well.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I registered here to learn more about wireless networking as I continue to build my own at home...So please bear with my lack of knowledge and for making another thread about the Asus router.

Anyhow, I noticed that anything plugged in the gigabit ports on the router have terrible streaming performance. I first noticed when I plugged my xbox 360 into it and tried to stream Hulu plus. When using a cat6 cable directly to the router the videos seem to constantly break up and I even get messages saying the service (hulu plus) isn't available. I was previously using a Netgear router and didn't have any problems at all. However, if I disconnect the xbox and join it to the 2.4ghz band wireless network, it is smooth as butter.

I tested this with my laptop as well and received similar results. So I guess my question more or less is this: Is there anything I possibly may be overlooking in the router setup that could be the problem? Or does it sound like it may be more of a hardware issue?

Just to clarify, I do have the latest firmware as well.

Try a different lan port on the router, could be a bad port.

Try a different port or possibly exchange your n66 for another. Given the lan port performance of the n56 I would be amazed if the n66 wasn't as good if not better in that regard. I haven't tried streaming on my 360 via the n66 but I haven't had anything less than spectacular performance for both wired and wireless devices.

I have an Xbox and Roku player. Both are hooked up via LAN. MW3 and Netflix run very well (streams faster than my old Linksys WRT54G running Tomato) and the Roku loads just as fast.

Maybe you have a bad RT-N66U?

I have had no issues with streaming. I even run a switch and stream to numerous devices at the same time without any issues. Did you update the firmware? If so I could exchange the router for another n66u.