What's new

ASUS RTAC68U and a High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mzn50

Occasional Visitor
Hello
I picked up a Amped Wireless High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster model SB1000.. and installed it on the middle ?? Antenna .. I got zero improvment..
Im mostly on 2.4ghz ..

Am i on the correct Antenna Spot ? .. hs anyone had any success ?

thanks !!!!

Matt

Hello
I picked up a Amped Wireless High Power 1000mW Wi-Fi Signal Booster model SB1000.. and installed it on the middle ?? Antenna .. I got zero improvment..
Im mostly on 2.4ghz ..

Am i on the correct Antenna Spot ? .. hs anyone had any success ?

thanks !!!!

Matt

Not sure how it will work reviews are hit and miss. Make sure you disable your 5 ghz radio in the router UI or you will burn the 5 ghz radio out because of a major mismatch on the antenna. To my knowledge all three antennas broadcast both bands at the same time so there is no way to use 5 ghz with that amped antenna.

Last edited:
that is a very good tip .. and have disabled the 5ghz.. I guss Ill play with the powered Antenna and see what I get !

thanks

that is a very good tip .. and have disabled the 5ghz.. I guss Ill play with the powered Antenna and see what I get !

thanks

Good Luck with it. Please post back with your findings on how that amp works.

Not sure how it will work reviews are hit and miss. Make sure you disable your 5 ghz radio in the router UI or you will burn the 5 ghz radio out because of a major mismatch on the antenna. To my knowledge all three antennas broadcast both bands at the same time so there is no way to use 5 ghz with that amped antenna.

You won't burn anything out. The radio chip outputs same constant power no matter what antenna you use. It doesn't care how close or how far its from another WiFi device.

The only thing that will kill it, is heat from higher ambient temps or electrical spike in house wiring.

Msn50.

The larger antenna does not.guarantee better signal. People have used Asus large antennas with zero improvement.

Last edited:
Hi,
Just keeping in mind constant rated power output vs. ERP. Two different thing. Any antenna can be connected as long as Z is closely matched yielding Good SWR minimizing wasted power as heat.

Hi,
Just keeping in mind constant rated power output vs. ERP. Two different thing. Any antenna can be connected as long as Z is closely matched yielding Good SWR minimizing wasted power as heat.

Bigger anntena acts as a bigger heatsink.

Heat travels through metal on contact. The CPU temps won't drop by huge amount, but the small % yields are there.

If you put a torch directly to an anntena, the heat will eventually transfer to the rest of the router. Unless heat input/temp is lower then dissipation area. I don't recall the math, but you get the picture.

You won't burn anything out. The radio chip outputs same constant power no matter what antenna you use. It doesn't care how close or how far its from another WiFi device.

The only thing that will kill it, is heat from higher ambient temps or electrical spike in house wiring.

Msn50.

The larger antenna does not.guarantee better signal. People have used Asus large antennas with zero improvement.

That antenna is a mono band 2.4 ghz it can and will damage the 5 ghz radio. Maybe you don't know much about radio theory but as a ham radio license holder I know better. ;)

I moved the Antenna from centre to left and signal boasted significantly.. I was avg 68-70 .. this morning its between 80-83% have NO IDEA why it bosted over night..it maybe cause I changed channels last night to CHN 6..

Signal is 82%
Noise is 7%
SNR is 44db

pretty good I say..

I hear u on the heat thingy.. but keep in mind the Antenna and its amplifier is 30cms away from the Router.. not sure if powered amplification at the base of the antenna will cause heat issues..

Attachments

• aw_b004mdqq04-wcp.jpg
    aw_b004mdqq04-wcp.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 479
Not same technology. And only antenna will burn out on ham vhf radio.
http://www.k0bg.com/options.html

Nobody said the antenna would burn out. Having a mono band antenna on a device that transmits 2 different freq's is a big no no. The 5Ghz band will see a huge increase in the standing wave ratio that will cause the 5 ghz radio to overheat and fail because the power will no longer be radiated into the air rather the power will be sent back to the radio and cause heat that heat will cause the final to fail. Ham radio or any radio thats how it works. If the OP had a duel band amped antenna then all would be ok thats the reason i recommended he disable the 5 ghz band if he plans to use the 2.4ghz mono band antenna.

Last edited:

lol i used a 2.4GHZ only antenna with 5GHz on 1 time (DOH!) luckily i only used 1/3

but everything is fine. if anything my 5GHz works better now then when i first got it.......

edit: lol and now i read that people already proved your post wrong... guess it doesnt matter and i am evidence!

I moved the Antenna from centre to left and signal boasted significantly.. I was avg 68-70 .. this morning its between 80-83% have NO IDEA why it bosted over night..it maybe cause I changed channels last night to CHN 6..

Signal is 82%
Noise is 7%
SNR is 44db

pretty good I say..

I hear u on the heat thingy.. but keep in mind the Antenna and its amplifier is 30cms away from the Router.. not sure if powered amplification at the base of the antenna will cause heat issues..

i have also found with antenna and transmit power changes, overnight is a much bigger change, its liek the router needs to adjust and learn the new antennas or output power in a way....

lol i used a 2.4GHZ only antenna with 5GHz on 1 time (DOH!) luckily i only used 1/3

but everything is fine. if anything my 5GHz works better now then when i first got it.......

edit: lol and now i read that people already proved your post wrong... guess it doesnt matter and i am evidence!

Nobody has proved me wrong because they can't simply because I am right. Second is you should not comment when you have NO clue what your talking about.

Unfortunately it is clear that connorm has no understanding of how transmitter circuits, amplifiers and antennas work. (And in case your wondering, I've been a licenced radio amateur since 1978)

But getting back to the OP's question. I'm not sure how much improvement should be expected given that all 3 antennas are meant to work together.

He might find that the range has increased slightly but that throughput generally has dropped because the connection is only using 1 spatial stream instead of 2 or 3. Only experimentation over time will tell.

Last edited:
Nobody said the antenna would burn out. Having a mono band antenna on a device that transmits 2 different freq's is a big no no. The 5Ghz band will see a huge increase in the standing wave ratio that will cause the 5 ghz radio to overheat and fail because the power will no longer be radiated into the air rather the power will be sent back to the radio and cause heat that heat will cause the final to fail. Ham radio or any radio thats how it works. If the OP had a duel band amped antenna then all would be ok thats the reason i recommended he disable the 5 ghz band if he plans to use the 2.4ghz mono band antenna.

I cant find any kind of info on these.

But heres what i did find. http://www.forums.ampedwireless.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=237

5ghz simply will not work. Nothing about killing 5ghz radio.

Last edited:
I cant find any kind of info on these.

But heres what i did find. http://www.forums.ampedwireless.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=237

5ghz simply will not work. Nothing about killing 5ghz radio.

Correct it will not work and over a very short time the radios will fail. The transmitter must have a proper load and resistance to function efficiently. It's the same thing as turning your stereo volume up and having no speakers hooked up the audio outputs would over heat and fail. Anyway this has got enough off topic and I will say no more about it other then what I am stating is 100% true I would not come here and deliberately give bad information I know how radio transmitters and antennas work I have been doing almost my whole life. Have a nice day. :)

Nobody has proved me wrong because they can't simply because I am right. Second is you should not comment when you have NO clue what your talking about.

lolwut. u mad?

Correct it will not work and over a very short time the radios will fail. The transmitter must have a proper load and resistance to function efficiently. It's the same thing as turning your stereo volume up and having no speakers hooked up the audio outputs would over heat and fail. Anyway this has got enough off topic and I will say no more about it other then what I am stating is 100% true I would not come here and deliberately give bad information I know how radio transmitters and antennas work I have been doing almost my whole life. Have a nice day. :)

I'm surprised they haven't put any protection into modern designs however. Would be fairly easy for the controller to detect the absence of any load, and either reduce or flat out stop emitting. For an audio analogy, see how recent computers can even automatically detect if you plugged an headphone or a speaker into the audio output jack, and report it accordingly.