What's new

Asus WL-500W Replacement Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vinnie97

Occasional Visitor
Well, I've had almost 5 good years with her (including using DD-WRT and causing a brick on several occasions that was only ever overcome by fiddling with pin shorting; as well as having a capacitor fail in the power adapter, which I replaced a few years back), but yesterday she stopped providing DHCP addresses/internet (which no amount of resetting resolved and TFTP was unable to connect) and I am tired of fiddling.

I was looking for a similarly performing replacement at the lowest cost possible (I don't really need triple stream N or even 5Ghz capability but wouldn't object to either if the price was right...given how half-baked the former is, I think I'd be wasting my money but wouldn't mind having 5Ghz capability). Newegg has a pretty well reviewed model from their in-house brand, the Rosewill RNX-N150RT. Is this a knockoff of another well known brand/model? The price isn't bad, but I wouldn't mind having something with bandwidth monitoring at least (DD-WRT has spoiled me). It's always a marvel how fast tech moves...this WL500W was at the top of the line with its 2 USB ports and N capability in 2006 and appropriately cost $130. Now it looks like there are similarly equipped routers for a fraction of that price ($25-30). Feel free if you have any recommendations to impart.

EDIT: Well, I went with the costly triple N Netgear after all...I only hope/pray I can achieve 4-5 years of good use out of it like I did with the WL-500W.

EDIT #2: It would appear I posted this in the wrong forum. Please move to appropriate subforum, mod(s). Thanks.

Last edited: