What's new

ASUS XT8 with mixed ASUS Routers as AP's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cgeb

New Around Here
Hi, purchasing an ASUS xt8 to use as my main router in a 2400 foot space. Have an existing RT-AX3000 that I'm going to use as a wired back haul to the upstairs. I think thats all pretty straight forward. I have another ASUS router (Blue Cave) that I was thinking about using as a wireless back haul to my main TV (Samsung Smart TV) Is it worth it to use the Blue Cave (wireless back haul) to run a wired ethernet to the TV or just use existing wireless signal (with no Blue Cave) which is pretty strong at the TV location. I know the NIC on the TV is 100 mbs but thought maybe the wired connection would be steady vs possible wireless fluctuation. Getting 80 to 90 MBS on wireless when testing the TV with speedtest off an internal TV web-browser. Thanks in advance.

Test your Wi-Fi around the house with the main router only. Add a node only if needed. You don’t need this Blue Cave. Keep it simple.

You probably don't need 3-band router either. This XT8 is getting old and the hardware is weak. Unless you go for the looks, get RT-AX86U Pro or better. RT-AX88U Pro is also popular around, both better hardware and new Asuswrt 5.0 compatible. GT-AX6000 is another popular choice.

Hi got a good deal on the XT8 going to give it a try. Should still be a step up from existing AX-3000.

Should still be a step up from existing AX-3000

Not really. It's about the same hardware inside with one extra 5GHz radio for dedicated wireless backhaul and single 2.5GbE port. If you use 2.4GHz + 5GHz-1 radios - expect about the same performance from 2-stream XT8 radios as RT-AX3000. Newer RT-AX3000 V2 actually have updated faster 1.7GHz quad-core CPU, better than what XT8 has. I don't know what version is your RT-AX3000. Make sure you use better 4-stream 5GHz-2 radio, but your channel choice will be limited to mid/upper channels only. Depending on the region and DFS range availability - it may work well or may not work at all.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!