What's new

ASUS Zen WiFi AX XT8 fails to update firmware but still functions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woozy-wave

Occasional Visitor
I have two hardware version 1 ASUS ZenWiFi AX XT8 units. One serves as the router and another as a node. I have never had any issue with updating the firmware on the node, however, I cannot seem to upgrade the firmware on the router past version 3.0.0.4.386.25790. It is unclear if the version number is significant, or if the unit itself is to blame and the version it gets stuck on is purely coincidental. As far as I can tell, the firmware version was released in September 2020 which was right before I bought the units in December 2020.

The router still functions (as far as I can tell) even if it cannot update firmware.

I have attempted to update directly to the latest version using both the web GUI and phone app. With the web GUI, the router would go through the updating process and restart. However, the firmware version remains at 3.0.0.4.386.25790. With the phone app, I would get a message saying the firmware update has failed.

I have also attempted to update manually, choosing both the most recent and the oldest available version on ASUS website. Same thing would happen as when I hit the update button on the GUI--the router would go through the process and restart, but the firmware version remains the same.

I am not sure if different firmware versions can cause this, but my node frequently suffers from poor connection to the router even though they have a direct line of sight and without any obstacles in between; the distance between the two is a bit less than 25 feet or 7.5 meters. I started noticing the poor connection issue after noticing that the router firmware versions are not the same. (Even though I do not think it is the case, I cannot rule out that the issue was not there already and I just started noticing it because I was paying closer attention.)

Does anyone know how I can get it to update firmware?

If you haven't tried already, I have found that doing a factory reset of both router and node, and setting up the network again has fixed multiple issues I have encountered. Just remember to use the exact same network name and password on the new setup as you used on the old or your going to have to reset all the clients on the network

If you haven't tried already, I have found that doing a factory reset of both router and node, and setting up the network again has fixed multiple issues I have encountered. Just remember to use the exact same network name and password on the new setup as you used on the old or your going to have to reset all the clients on the network

Just to clarify: by factory reset, you meant restore factory default? If so, I have done that already, although I did not try to re-setup my network.

As Bennor has linked above. I do this for each device.Then using only one device plugged in and powered on (that will become the router) you start from scratch (new name, password, wifi network name, etc using the app or web gui). Once that is up and running (unfortunately rarely happens the first time),then I plug in the other unit and add it as a node. (Also unfortunately rarely happens the first time, these are finicky devices)

Also as an aside, unlike some past firmware iterations, this has been stable for me for well over a month, and I suspect others who have upgraded,based on the minimal number of comments on this firmware compared to its predecessors. But in my experience, using new firmware without going thru the laborious hard factory reset and setting the whole thing up again has given me issues. Also I don’t use any of the custom features (everything is in default) except the usb port for my iPhone when the internet goes down (actually works!)

One thing, @RioBlanco: in your experience, what are some issues that may come up that prevents you from successfully setting things up on the first go? I would like to anticipate them and try to make as few mistakes as possible!

None that I have identified. Following a hard reset I start with the app and follow the instructions in the app. Sometimes the app says it fails so I do another hard reset and try again and for some reason it now works. The node can be even more problematic, app says it can't add the node, so I try again. I will also try the web base interface when the app fails, and this sometimes works on first try and other times not. Lastly I have seen the app/web interface say it was unable to add the node, but lo and behold the node is working. All very strange and yes I have probably done something wrong, but I yet to figure out what :{

I hard reset both units. However, now one unit identifies itself as RT-AX95Q whereas the other unit continues to show itself as ZenWiFi AX.

The one known as RT-AX95Q is the one that would not upgrade firmware. When I tried to update its firmware automatically, it tells me that it cannot connect to ASUS servers even though there was internet connection. If I do it manually, it goes through the process and restarts in its original firmware without implementing the update. No error messages.

The RT-AX95Q also does not have a mesh option in its GUI. I cannot enable mesh when it is the main router. It did appear to work fine as a router.

When I use the other unit as the main/router unit, it could not find RT-AX95Q as an available mesh node. It also works fine as a router.

Have you a similar experience, @RioBlanco? And if so, how did you get the misidentified RT-AX95Q to behave again?

Unfortunately I have not seen that issue before, but I found a reddit thread with a similar problem ( ) but unfortunately no solution.
Have you tried to go back to an older firmware on the RT-AX95Q unit, then do a hard reset and hopefully it will show up as a node? Don't really have any other ideas . Maybe you could post on this forum under the title

XT8 appears as RT-AX95Q instead of ZenWifi AX, will not mesh​

and someone will have an answer. Sorry

Thank you, @RioBlanco! I have just done so. Thank you again for your help.

In case you are interested: after the hard reset, the RT-AX95Q unit still had the old firmware and resisted updating. I found out that there is a Mac version of the firmware restoration app. I was able to use it to update the RT-AX95Q unit to the most recent firmware. It still identifies itself as RT-AX95Q though.

Finicky you said? Yes, they are. 🤣

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that the Mac firmware restoration can work if the auto or Web based doesn't. Out of curiosity did this fix the ability to add either unit as a node? If so suggests the new firmware is incompatible with the old as a router/node combo. Also worth remembering🙄

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that the Mac firmware restoration can work if the auto or Web based doesn't. Out of curiosity did this fix the ability to add either unit as a node? If so suggests the new firmware is incompatible with the old as a router/node combo. Also worth remembering🙄

No it did not. The latest firmware did not address the identity issue nor did it allows the RT-AX95Q to be added as a node. In fact, as the reddit post user has found, all options related to AiMesh are gone for the RT-AX95Q unit.