What's new

Asus ZenWifi XT8 wired packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lager93

New Around Here
Asus ZenWiFi XT8 AX6600 Router Issue

I’ve been experiencing packet loss issues with my Asus ZenWiFi XT8 AX6600 router, especially when gaming and performing other online activities. When I connect directly to the fiber line using the same cable, the connection works perfectly without any packet loss, so it seems the issue is with the router.

The router is only 2 years old, so I wouldn't expect it to have trouble handling traffic at this point. However, I’ve noticed sporadic packet loss, and when I test with PingPlotter set to 0.5-second intervals, I consistently see around 50% packet loss.

I use cable not wifi.
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_24668

Last edited:
Look here:
It doesn't seem to be the same issue, since my CPE, which handles fiber to Ethernet, is connected to a switch, and I don't experience any issues when connecting through that. In the worst case, I might need to place a switch and have my computer outside the network. My Asus XT8 can't handle PingPlotter with 0.5-second intervals, and they mention that PingPlotter might not be the best tool for this. Is there another service I could use?

You're missing the point. No matter what else is going on in or outside of your network, Pingplotter can and will give you false packet loss indications. The false indications depend on the mix of router model, upstream modem model and ping interval. I haven't seen any consistency in which configurations provide false indications and which configurations do not although low ping intervals seem to trigger the false packet loss indications. Maybe that's why Pingplotter's lowest ping interval is 0.5 seconds, which you can overwrite manually to lower intervals like 0.02 seconds or lower. So, in addition to sorting out any real existing problems, you need to determine if Pingplotter is actually providing you with real useful information or false indications. That can only be accomplished with testing, one step at a time to determine if there is a real packet loss problem with any device inside or outside of your network. When one device has been determined to be packet loss free, you move on to the next device in the network chain. but, the key point is to only test one device by specifying its IP address in the Pingplotter address bar. Don't ping some far off end target like google or any other target. Start with your router, and then move out from there, one IP address at a time, running a 24 hour ping test if and when necessary. I will typically run a 24 hour test to see the results over the whole day. And, if Pingplotter does indicate packet loss, then you have to confirm that packet loss with other tools which are at your disposal or which can be easily downloaded.

You indicated that you're on a fibre network. Is the CPE an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) or a fibre modem. Please specify which one and provide the model number as well. From your comments your network looks like this:

Fibre Cable -> CPE -> switch -> (port 1) PC
(port 2) -> router

or:

Fibre Cable -> CPE -> router -> PC

Do I have this correct?

And when you run the second configuration, with ping intervals under 0.5 seconds you see packet loss from the router, correct??

If you want to demonstrate the false packet loss indication, set your network up in the second configuration. I'm assuming that the CPE is a fibre modem. Ping the router, just the router, no further. When you're satisfied that there is no packet loss to the router, or you have managed to fix any existing issues, change the Pingplotter address IP to the IP of the modem. Run the same low interval ping test to the modem. Don't be surprised to see no packet loss to the modem, with high levels of packet loss to the router, where you've just convinced yourself that the router does not have any packet loss.

Then when your satisfied that there is no packet loss to the modem, ping the next address in a trace to anywhere. It should respond, but, if it doesn't ping the ISP DNS. Look at the IP address just after the modem. Click or double click on that address to bring up the display for that IP address. If its responding, you should see that there is no packet loss, but, you will probably see packet loss from the router and modem, where previously you've determined that there is no packet loss. That sequence should give you a good idea of what Pingplotter will present.

Any packet loss indications should be confirmed via the methods outlined in the previously linked thread and its embedded PDF file.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. No matter what else is going on in or outside of your network, Pingplotter can and will give you false packet loss indications. The false indications depend on the mix of router model, upstream modem model and ping interval. I haven't seen any consistency in which configurations provide false indications and which configurations do not although low ping intervals seem to trigger the false packet loss indications. Maybe that's why Pingplotter's lowest ping interval is 0.5 seconds, which you can overwrite manually to lower intervals like 0.02 seconds or lower. So, in addition to sorting out any real existing problems, you need to determine if Pingplotter is actually providing you with real useful information or false indications. That can only be accomplished with testing, one step at a time to determine if there is a real packet loss problem with any device inside or outside of your network. When one device has been determined to be packet loss free, you move on to the next device in the network chain. but, the key point is to only test one device by specifying its IP address in the Pingplotter address bar. Don't ping some far off end target like google or any other target. Start with your router, and then move out from there, one IP address at a time, running a 24 hour ping test if and when necessary. I will typically run a 24 hour test to see the results over the whole day. And, if Pingplotter does indicate packet loss, then you have to confirm that packet loss with other tools which are at your disposal or which can be easily downloaded.

You indicated that you're on a fibre network. Is the CPE an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) or a fibre modem. Please specify which one and provide the model number as well. From your comments your network looks like this:

Fibre Cable -> CPE -> switch -> (port 1) PC
(port 2) -> router

or:

Fibre Cable -> CPE -> router -> PC

Do I have this correct?

And when you run the second configuration, with ping intervals under 0.5 seconds you see packet loss from the router, correct??

If you want to demonstrate the false packet loss indication, set your network up in the second configuration. I'm assuming that the CPE is a fibre modem. Ping the router, just the router, no further. When you're satisfied that there is no packet loss to the router, or you have managed to fix any existing issues, change the Pingplotter address IP to the IP of the modem. Run the same low interval ping test to the modem. Don't be surprised to see no packet loss to the modem, with high levels of packet loss to the router, where you've just convinced yourself that the router does not have any packet loss.

Then when your satisfied that there is no packet loss to the modem, ping the next address in a trace to anywhere. It should respond, but, if it doesn't ping the ISP DNS. Look at the IP address just after the modem. Click or double click on that address to bring up the display for that IP address. If its responding, you should see that there is no packet loss, but, you will probably see packet loss from the router and modem, where previously you've determined that there is no packet loss. That sequence should give you a good idea of what Pingplotter will present.

Any packet loss indications should be confirmed via the methods outlined in the previously linked thread and its embedded PDF file.

Ok maybe i was unclear.
i have
fiber -> CPE -> ethernet cable to -> Main Router(Asus XT8) -> Cable -> Computer
Then i have packet loss at 0.5 seconds in pingplotter but not in 1 second.

i tested
fiber -> CPE -> ethernet cable to -> Computer
Then i have no packet loss at 0.5 seconds.

So when connected to the CPE no problem but through xt8 i have no issues.
I'm kinda looking for a new mesh system since this problem appeard. I notice lag and packet loss in games 1-2 times every hours sometimes more.

All test is pinging 8.8.8.8.

I got the ip of my provider in pingplotter so maybe test to ping him instead?

His test give no errors on their side already talked with them.