What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi

I found an issue on the samba device same.
According to the help an undeline is allowed.
But when I use e.g. Router_Test then it will take the RT-AC66U as the share name. If I use Router-Test then it works.
It looks like using an underline in the device name is not working.

Does anybody know what this means?

Feb 9 06:09:51 kernel: htb: htb qdisc 17: is non-work-conserving?

I'm not getting this a lot in the log but it shows up every few hours. I had never seen it in the prior version of AsusWrt (not the .50 beta).

Last time I shared a beta build with two users over Google Drive, they were bitching at how slow their download were. So regardless of where I host the files, someone, somewhere, will complain.

No, Mediafire is the only official download site for now, and I have no plan on moving any time soon. Maintaining additional mirror sites is also an added pain in the butt at release time. My release procedure is already complicated enough as it is with 6 firmwares + 1 README to upload all into separate folders, have two separate websites to update including a lengthy announce post to write, a Twitter feed to announce to, and Mediafire to update.

The current release procedure takes nearly two hours to complete.

For the record I have seen no issues getting downloads via Mediafire. We are talking 27-37MB files here. Perhaps its time of day or country of origin but in reality it shouldn't be a big deal to wait a few minutes to get this awesome firmware without having to sign up for an account and deal with ads and such. I suspect most can get it in a blink with any decent connection. Wouldn't loose any sleep on these recommendations to change your process, I'm sure it works for 99% of us out there. :)

Sure is i have tested it multiple times and so have many others. John's fork has at least a 10 db difference with the N66u then any recent power locked firmware. It's very noticeable on both bands 2g and 5g. You dont even have to crank it i set my power to 120mw on both bands. I think even Merlin will agree there is a difference at least for the RT-N66U.

So, the actual cap is at 80mW? Assuming you set John's fork firmware at 80mW, you are experiencing the same wifi performance as with the latest Merlin releases?
Or is there something else other than the 80mW cap? 10dB difference seems a lot.
Thanks.

I was so happy to upgrade the router, but seems my RT-AC68U is bricked with this upgrade!

I did the update as usual and went fine but after i did the factory default the router goes on loop every minute and doesn't start anymore! i just got the power led on, all other light are off, WIFI doesn't start, so i try to connect with cable but i'm not able to access the admin page, seems the firmware is not able to start. I try also a hard reset with the button, no way! I'm really upset I hope there is a solution.

My router before the upgrade,

FW 376.49_4
bootloader 1.0.2.0 eu (upgraded from 1.0.1.6)
CPU 1000mhz

Why the factory default made my router dead??

Last edited:
I was so happy to upgrade the router, but seems my RT-AC68U is bricked with this upgrade!

I did the update as usual and went fine but after i did the factory default the router goes on loop every minute and doesn't start anymore! i just got the power led on, all other light are off, WIFI doesn't start, so i try to connect with cable but i'm not able to access the admin page, seems the firmware is not able to start. I try also a hard reset with the button, no way! I'm really upset I hope there is a solution.

My router before the upgrade,

FW 376.49_4
bootloader 1.0.2.0 eu (upgraded from 1.0.1.6)
CPU 1000mhz

Why the factory default made my router dead??

I doubt your router is bricked. I'm sure I've seen ways to restore firmware in an emergency I'd check around the forums..

Do you guys disable wps or just leave it on?

I configured my printer using wps but that's the only device I do it with so is it best to turn it off now and just turn it on when I need to use the feature.

I'm just unsure if it's secure after reading stuff in the past.

I disable it before I even connect the WAN port every time.

I hope RMerlin makes it disabled by default in future releases. :)

I doubt your router is bricked. I'm sure I've seen ways to restore firmware in an emergency I'd check around the forums..

Thanks, i'm searching also, seems there is a Firmware Restoration utility but i can't find the link...

Thanks, i found the link also, now i try to put the router in rescue mode but it's not working. :(
I follow these instruction:

1. Unplug the router
2. Hold down the reset button and replug the router simultaneously.
3. Wait till the power led flashes slowly and release the reset botton.

I try many times but the power led remains normal and doesn't flash for rescue mode :(
I try the tool connecting a laptop with cable with fixed IP adress (192.168.1.2) but the tools says the router is not in rescue mode :(

Maybe Merlin firmware has another way?

issue on the samba device same.
According to the help an undeline is allowed.
But when I use e.g. Router_Test then it will take the RT-AC66U as the share name. If I use Router-Test then it works.
It looks like using an underline in the device name is not working.
Yet another example of why it is always unnecessarily risky to use anything but a letter, followed by letters and numbers, in an identifier.

Still getting these....

Hi!

Am I the only one getting these on regular basis? :) Have read that these msg should be history now with the new release

378_50 and with factory reset afterwards...

Feb 9 00:05:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:07:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:08:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[797]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.123 7c:d1:c3:29:86:3f
Feb 9 00:08:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[797]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.123 7c:d1:c3:29:86:3f AppleTV
Feb 9 00:51:28 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:28 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:29 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:31 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:34 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:41 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:51:51 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:52:01 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:52:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:52:21 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 00:52:28 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Feb 9 02:00:15 rc_service: rc 5694:notify_rc restart_wrs

Regards,
Christian

Tested Dual WAN - Selective Routing

@Merlin, great update ...thank you again... 24hrs up, no problems with 378.50; very responsive, it may be a tad faster than .49_5 ( but it could just be me ;) I am totally sold on your firmware)

Below is my two cents worth of testing:

I started by updating with .50_ta, the router handled traffic through the dual-wan balance feature just find; however, even though AiProtection, QoS and TA related stuff was disabled, selective routing rules did not work.

After verification of dual wan connectivity and traffic, addnl table and fwmarks existence (ip rule/ip route), fwmark assignments to IPs script, and a few reboots, there still was no dice; not even DROP rules worked. it seems like iptable commands were being ignored, no error messages in the log either.

So, I flashed .50 and sure enough all worked as expected: packets were being routed as per the script, sending specific traffic via wan0, wan1 or tunXX depending on LAN host's IPs.

May be TA won't be as easy to deal with in this case.

Hi!

Am I the only one getting these on regular basis? :) Have read that these msg should be history now with the new release

378_50 and with factory reset afterwards...

Feb 9 00:05:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as

Regards,
Christian

Hi,

A few posts ago, you'll see that Merlin explained that Asus had tried to fix the issue, but in doing so rendered a problem elsewhere. So the fix didn't work as they planned.

As it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the router i really wouldn't worry about it.

Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is now available for download, for all supported models.
Hey RMErlin. I figured out that when set "Enable VPN + DHCP connection" to ON in WAN tab, I can not watch IPTV in PC. Is this a bugs?

Was "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" removed?

No, at least not on the RT-AC68u. It is under the "Professional" page, when you select the 2.4ghz option (instead of 5ghz).

Access Point mode not working on 378.50 AC87U

@Merlin: thanks very much for the 378.50 release. It works fine on both AC68U or AC87U in router mode. But I've tried to use one of my AC87U in AP mode together with another AC87U in router mode and it freezes my whole network without giving any indication on the problem. When using an AC68 in AP mode everthing works fine. Has anybody a clue of what's happening ?