What's new

AT&T residential fiber's "Passthrough" mode and public IPs...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SolidSonicTH

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone understand how these work together? Is it my router that's sending a DHCP request to AT&T to get an IP address lease or is it still the gateway sending the DHCP requests and simply passing the IP address it gets back to the router?

I tried to get AT&T to refresh my public IP address but they claimed they can't do anything because they can't "see" the router, presumably it's because in Passthrough mode. So with that being the case is there anything I can do to prompt an IP lease release/renew?

I guess the combined unit. The fiber line comes into an SFP on the gateway and the gateway has a couple RJ-45s for the internal network. I just run its Ethernet to my router's WAN port, though.

The exact model (as referenced in the gateway's internal webpage) is a Nokia BGW320-505.

You must get tier 2 support or higher to get a new IP address. ipv6 you can request up to 8 /64 prefixes at the router.

If you are asking about only seeing only a private IP address for your WAN, you didn't finish setting up passthrough. Reboot the gateway and then your router. Everything will then work correctly.

Mm...no, I can see the public IP inside the gateway (it starts with a 76) so I think it's set up correctly (my router also sees the same IP in its main configuration page).

But you said I need to escalate to Tier 2 to get AT&T to issue a new IP to my network?

Yes and they may not grant it unless they can see you are having an issue. "I just want a new IP address" isn't going to work.

Alternative is static which starts at $15/month:
att.com/StaticIP

Last edited:
This is how passthrough works. It's NOT a true bridge mode and you will be doing a double nat. As long as your router has the public ip address it's working as passthrough was intended. Not a perfect solution but it works.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!