What's new

AX86U Pro router and non-Pro AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mv10

New Around Here
I've have an AX86U Pro (my sole router for a couple years), and I have an older non-Pro AX86U available (my router prior to buying the Pro, thought it died but it was just a bad power supply).

Short version: I want to use the non-Pro as a wired AP node. The Pro is on firmware 3.0.0.6.102_34313 and the non-Pro should be current but I don't have it powered to get the exact number.

When I'm setting up the AP node, from what I've read here, it sounds like I should just use AP mode and not try to use the Asus AIMESH stuff, is that accurate?

The Pro router broadcasts a main network, guest network, and another guest dedicated to IOT usage -- each with a 2.4GHz and 5GHz variant for a total of six SSIDs.

Do I need to also define all the SSIDs on the AP node which are already on the Pro router?

The scenario: My new house is a 2700 sqft 2-story, and 100+ years old which means plaster/lath and brick and similar WiFi signal challenges. The Pro is fine as the router in my office at the back of the house upstairs, signal is very strong upstairs or downstairs in back, but towards the front of the house downstairs it's terrible. Many devices don't see any SSID or can only see a weak 2.4GHz signal. Because of this, I thought I'd put the non-Pro AP upstairs in my wife's office at the front of the house, which makes it relatively simple to run Ethernet through the attic as a backhaul. These would be physically separated by about 40ft.

I've read many AP-related and AIMESH threads here (probably too many) and it sounds like my best bet is to hard reset the AP node and go from there. (I have MANY statically-assigned IPs by MAC address on the Pro router, I'd really hate to have to re-configure that thing from factory defaults.) The Pro is 192.168.1.1, so I thought I'd statically assign the AP to 192.168.1.2, then flip the mode to AP, reboot, and pray. And if that works, then I'll tackle using 2.5GHz, which seems to be unusually tricky on these things.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

For me, I've tried it both ways and decided I like the AIMesh node best. I'm hardwired though.
I don't know if you can set a static IP for the node, I just assigned a static from the router to the node's MAC.
I just did a hard reset and set it up as a AIMesh node.

Been working fine, devices roam, etc. Zero issues to date.
I use nothing (USB, scripts, security, etc) on the router. Just a couple of port forwards.

I've have an AX86U Pro (my sole router for a couple years), and I have an older non-Pro AX86U available (my router prior to buying the Pro, thought it died but it was just a bad power supply).

Short version: I want to use the non-Pro as a wired AP node. The Pro is on firmware 3.0.0.6.102_34313 and the non-Pro should be current but I don't have it powered to get the exact number.

When I'm setting up the AP node, from what I've read here, it sounds like I should just use AP mode and not try to use the Asus AIMESH stuff, is that accurate?

The Pro router broadcasts a main network, guest network, and another guest dedicated to IOT usage -- each with a 2.4GHz and 5GHz variant for a total of six SSIDs.

Do I need to also define all the SSIDs on the AP node which are already on the Pro router?

The scenario: My new house is a 2700 sqft 2-story, and 100+ years old which means plaster/lath and brick and similar WiFi signal challenges. The Pro is fine as the router in my office at the back of the house upstairs, signal is very strong upstairs or downstairs in back, but towards the front of the house downstairs it's terrible. Many devices don't see any SSID or can only see a weak 2.4GHz signal. Because of this, I thought I'd put the non-Pro AP upstairs in my wife's office at the front of the house, which makes it relatively simple to run Ethernet through the attic as a backhaul. These would be physically separated by about 40ft.

I've read many AP-related and AIMESH threads here (probably too many) and it sounds like my best bet is to hard reset the AP node and go from there. (I have MANY statically-assigned IPs by MAC address on the Pro router, I'd really hate to have to re-configure that thing from factory defaults.) The Pro is 192.168.1.1, so I thought I'd statically assign the AP to 192.168.1.2, then flip the mode to AP, reboot, and pray. And if that works, then I'll tackle using 2.5GHz, which seems to be unusually tricky on these things.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

The AX86U Pro router uses ASUSWRT 5.0 and GNP (barely not BETA fw, imo). The AX86U non-Pro router uses ASUSWRT 4.0 and GN. Best to not use AiMesh (but easy enough to try to see what you get); try configuring AP Mode on the wired non-Pro router... this will not extend all of your Pro WLANs/SSIDs... easy enough to try without upsetting the existing network. If the router signal is strong at 2nd floor front/wife office, an AP there should probably use different channels and SSIDs... may be too close... roaming may be less seamless(?).

Assigning IPs yourself is your chore; when using static IPs assigned on LAN clients (router LAN/APs/devices), exclude these from the router DHCP IP Pool (used for dynamic and manually-assigned/reserved IPs). ASUS DHCP tends to assign the same IP to the same client, similar to being static.

Plan B would be wired AiMesh AX88U Pro + AX86U Pro (still barely not BETA fw, imo) to extend all WLANs/SSIDs/VLANs to all nodes. I'd let AiMesh manage node IP assignment.

I would keep your router config as simple as possible and document it (mine) to more easily Hard Reset the fw and configure from scratch before extensive troubleshooting and/or for a most clean upgrade.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

Tip: When using GN on non-Pro standalone router, skip using GN1... it's been cobbled by ASUS to extend GN1 to AiMesh nodes and is best left for that usage only, imo.

OE

Last edited:
You should have no real issues using the AX86U as an AiMesh node. Start out by using the GB Wan port for Ethernet backhaul if you use it. Only use the 2.5 GB ports if you have tested CAT 5e or better Ethernet.
The only problem I've had is the node does not broadcast a 5 GHz Guest network when I have the GNP IoT set to use 2.4/5 GHz.

Sorry, what does GN / GN1 / GNP mean?

I haven't done any serious testing, but just resetting the non-Pro node then setting it for AIMesh and letting the Pro router find it seems to have worked fine. That was done over WiFi, then I wired their 2.5GHz ports up (still in the same room on a short high-quality cable) and those showed 2.5GHz. Unfortunately, when I moved it further away to the front office, it looks like AIMesh is preferring 5GHz WiFi, which I'm sure is because of the mediocre-grade cable (which I expected). I'll pick up a good quality 100ft cable and hopefully get 2.5GHz between them.

The non-Pro is on FW 3.0.0.4.388_22068. The router is indicating there is an update but I'll have to wait until I'm done with work before I can mess with that. Does the Pro and non-Pro have separate firmware? Obviously non-Pro doesn't have the VLAN flexibility (which I plan to use later, probably another HELP ME! post...) but maybe that's handled in code.

My phone's WiFi Analyzer shows both of them and it roams pretty seamlessly, but honestly roaming is less important to me than signal strength to non-moving devices, so I may go with AP and different SSIDs later on anyway. (Which will send me down the rabbit hole of which channels to use, something I studied ages ago and have completely forgotten about now.) Either way, the real test will be my downstairs mini-PC which uses the always-nitpicky Killer Networks onboard WiFi.

Sorry, what does GN / GN1 / GNP mean?

ASUSWRT 4.0 (3.0.0.4.*) offers three 2.4/5.0 Guest Networks (GN)... GN1 are the first and only that will sync to AiMesh nodes. Guest Networks define in AP Mode will not be isolated from the LAN, so not secure.

ASUSWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6.*) for Pro models offers five 2.4/5.0 Guest Networks Pro (GNP)... VLANs w/DHCP, pre-defined and custom... they all sync to nodes, if so configured and not defective (the pre-defined Guest Portal is defective now).

New firmware is discussed in its Release thread in the Official subforum here... read up to get current on it.

Use the FAQ Search in the router webUI to find simple answers to basic questions.

I haven't done any serious testing, but just resetting the non-Pro node then setting it for AIMesh and letting the Pro router find it seems to have worked fine.

Reset the node router and search/add it from the main router webUI... you don't directly configure AiMesh nodes, you let AiMesh do this... centralized admin is one of its features.

Unfortunately, when I moved it further away to the front office, it looks like AIMesh is preferring 5GHz WiFi, which I'm sure is because of the mediocre-grade cable (which I expected). I'll pick up a good quality 100ft cable and hopefully get 2.5GHz between them.

If ALL nodes are to be wired backhaul only, enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable all wireless backhauls (all WiFi for client use only; no failover). Confirm node Backhaul Connection Priority Auto (Ethernet-based).

Does the Pro and non-Pro have separate firmware?

Of course... find the product support page online to download firmware. And read the release notes.

Obviously non-Pro doesn't have the VLAN flexibility (which I plan to use later, probably another HELP ME! post...) but maybe that's handled in code.

Non-Pro firmware does not support GNP WLANs/VLANs.

OE

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!