What's new

AX86U Pro - Testing with 2.5Gb WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vic88

New Around Here
Just testing my new AX86u Pro connected to ISP (Rogers) cable modem using the 2.5 Gb WAN port with a CAT6a cable. I get about 1800 Mb/s on the router's speed test (firmware 388.24199). From my desktop on the 1 Gb wired connection I get about 850-890 Gb/s using SpeedTest app.

In this configuration, I was curious if the regular 1 Gb WAN port could be used as a LAN port - sure enough it works. So with WAN connected via 2.5 Gb port, you have 5 1 Gb LAN ports.

Welcome.
Correct. If you use the RT-AX86U Pro's 2.5GB port as the WAN port, then the 1GB WAN port can be used as a 5th LAN port (5 x 1GB LAN ports). Conversely if you use the 1GB WAN port for WAN, then the 2.5GB port can be used as a LAN port, making 4 x 1GB and 1 x 2.5GB LAN ports.

PS: Examples from a RT-AX86U Pro running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2. WAN set to 1GB:
1GB_WAN.jpg

WAN set to 2.5GB:
2_5GB_WAN.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!