What's new

AX88U Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sptz

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

So I've had this AX88U since 2021. For the first 2 years it's been fine. But the past like 6 months it's as if it's been deteriorating massively. I'm having issues I've never had before, like my devices acting as if there's no connection constantly (even though they're still connected with a strong connection), losing RDP connections (locally), internet speeds have gone down quite a bit as well and this is constant etc.

I'm on the latest Merlin firmware. I'm not sure what to do at this point and getting a bit sick of Asus routers that seem to need a "format" of sorts every X months or something.

Is there any guide on how to do a FULL reset so I can check if the problems persist or clear up? And then decide if I either move on or not?

Is there any guide on how to do a FULL reset so I can check if the problems persist or clear up? And then decide if I either move on or not?

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

Install current firmware, Hard Reset that firmware to its default settings, and then configure from scratch... do not restore saved settings from .cfg file.

OE

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

Installed current firmware, Hard Reset that firmware to its default settings, and then configure from scratch... do not restore saved settings from .cfg file.

OE

Thank you. Should I be doing all of those?

If I do a full FW reset it will go back to the default asus firmware right? If so, when I install merlin's, should I be doing some sort of "cache clearing" or nvram clearing dance?

If I do a full FW reset it will go back to the default asus firmware right?
No. Installing another firmware version overwrites the current one. If you want to go back to the firmware version that came with the router you will have to download it from the Asus website and reinstall it.

Thank you. Should I be doing all of those?

Install current firmware, Hard Reset that firmware to its default settings, and then configure from scratch... do not restore saved settings from .cfg file.

If I do a full FW reset it will go back to the default asus firmware right?

No, there is no default firmware unless you want to consider stock OEM ASUSWRT firmware 'the default firmware' since it is of the product offering from ASUS: https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...rs/rt-ax88u/helpdesk_bios?model2Name=RT-AX88U

If so, when I install merlin's, should I be doing some sort of "cache clearing" or nvram clearing dance?

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is just another (third party) firmware... stock OEM ASUSWRT firmware with modifications and additions for knowledgeable power users. Read all about it: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

OE

Thank you all. I'm going to do that. But if I may ask just to get a clear perspective.

For example, here's speedtests ran on my unraid server that's connected to the router by ethernet:

1719926902426.png

And here are speedtests ran on the webGUI of the router:

1719926939146.png

There's clearly something odd going on right? It never goes above 800 when speedtesting in the router itself.

It is NOT unusual for the router itself to NOT achieve the same results as clients on the LAN. And that's because the router isn't necessarily the most efficient or most powerful device for these purposes. There's a difference in measuring the performance of the router as a "routing" platform for a given application on the LAN vs. the router serving as the platform for the application itself. Your router's *primary* responsibility at all times is routing, NOT the efficiency of its own applications. That's why the router isn't always the best platform for applications (e.g., OpenVPN). Yeah, it may be functional and run, but that doesn't mean it can compete w/ a full-blown PC performing the same actions.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!