What's new

ban external ip range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

expaddy

New Around Here
I have been receiving this in my log:
Feb 27 19:03:16 dropbear[9698]: Login attempt for nonexistent user from 222.186.62.8:1033

I did a search and it appears to come form:

inetnum: 222.184.0.0 - 222.191.255.255
netname: CHINANET-JS
descr: CHINANET jiangsu province network
descr: China Telecom
descr: A12,Xin-Jie-Kou-Wai Street
descr: Beijing 100088

I immediately turned on the firewall and enabled the network services filter.
I would just like to know if this is normal or should I be worried and take further measures.
Is there a way to block a range of ip addresses with this router? (rtn66u with merlins latest)
I have just received my permanent ip address and was wondering is this attracting unwanted attention from a port scanner.
Any help appreciated.

Why would you disable the firewall to begin with? If your ports are closed or blocked the scanner moves right on by.

A couple things you can do to try and stop people, change the SSH port to something other then 22 and dont allow SSH from WAN.

You could always screw with people too by setting up a fake SSH server at port 22:

http://freiwuppertal.de/plone/sonstiges/fool

Last edited:
Yeah ok fair point doh!
Write 500 times, "DO NOT DISABLE FIREWALL".

But I did, and yeah I get the port blocking but is there a way I can make VPN safe to use. Without chucking loads of resources at it.

Which VPN is the best, security wise, I like the idea of open VPN.