What's new

Bandwidth Management & Range Increase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scullydion

New Around Here
Hi all

:confused: My head hurts... I'm usually fairly adept at figuring out tech things but alas I have brain overload on this one, so if you can please do help. The situation is this:

• 50mb broadband
  • shared wireless internet
  • old house = thick walls

I currently have a Belkin N1 router (which I'm open to replacing) What I was hoping to be able to do is boost the signal all around the house and limit the speeds/amount that other users can download.

Is bandwidth management something I can set up with QoS? Is there a router which can do this for me? And if I get a network access point will that stabilise connections as well as increase the signal?

Many thanks & enjoy the sun!

Clare :cool:

Last edited:
You're not looking for a Quality of Service (QoS) or "bandwidth management" solution. You need a stronger signal. The most reliable way that will provide the highest bandwidth is to add multiple Access points connected via Ethernet.

You can also try using wireless repeating. But each repeater will cut bandwidth to its connected clients by at least 50%. This is because the repeater's radio must receive, then retransmit the signal.

Ah ok that sounds good. What I want is for the other users to a be nice slow steady pace and for me and my machines to have super speed ;)