What's new

Basic Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fritodog

New Around Here
Joined forums a couple of weeks ago looking for info that would help guide me on new router purchase. Initially was considering higher priced routers, but after reading reviews and forums here realized this was probably overkill for me.

Currently, I do not have a router, but want to add one for the following reasons:
1.) increase security (only running a software firewall now)
2.) wireless connection to internet (for two 11g clients)
3.) wireless printing (11g wireless printer)
4.) stream NetFlix to PS3 via Cat5e hardwire

Many people on the forums seem to like the EnGenius ESR9850...it has GigE so heat might be a problem, but it ranks high in the charts and is reasonably price. The Asus RT-N13U seems like it would be a good fit, but it also sounds like it is difficult to set up. The D-Link DIR-655 used to be a solid / consistent performer that was very popular, but sounds like there have been some firmware issues in more recent A4 revision...also has GigE and is known to run hot. The Cisco-Linksys WRT-400N is still available, Tim's review seemed favorable and can pick up a refurb for ~$53. Even an old reliable 11g router, like the Linksys WRT54GL would likely work for my setup

I would appreciate it if anyone would be willing to comment / share opinion on the above routers or suggest others in the under $75 category that you think are worthy of consideration.

Thanks,
Frito

Last edited:
Much like in my house your performance demands from a router are not all that great. Nearly any router would give the same overall performance so I would shop for stability and good wireless coverage.

For me the Linksys WRT320N has been an excellent performer for the last 12 months with zero reboots running 24/7. I also had fine results from the Netgear WGR-614 V7, V8 and V9, they are simple, easy to set up and just fine in most setups. My routers have had to handle about 6 wireless clients, computer backups over wired connections and Netflix streaming via Roku none of which is all that demanding.

I really think that any router is going to do the job fine for what you want.. People will claim this one's better, or that one is crap, but you are doing basic stuff...

I might sound like a Buffalo whore, but I'd go with the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH... it's gigabit, wireless N, and it's been rock solid and reliable for me and 3 other people I've convinced to buy it. It's $79 too, good bang for the buck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162031&Tpk=wzr-hp-g300nh