What's new

Best apple extreme replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris B

New Around Here
So I have a network of 3 Apple Extreme Wireless N and wanted to upgrade to have more range and better speed. I have 1 set up as route and other as access mode in bridge. I tried the orbi but doesnt reach whole house and tried linksys velop and had issues with disconnections and poor Ethernet back-haul function... support was terrible and said partial software bug, but I returned the velops. So right now im considering replacing with the apple ac version or google wifi..... I also considered the synology 2600ac but not sure if the roaming would be an issue or overkill with 3... trying to cover 6000 Sqft.
Thanks!

One floor or two ?
shape of house ?
existing hardwire connection map of house ?
other backhaul options (rg-6 coax for MOCA, CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6 ) ?

a layout sketch would be useful.

Simple question: Best apple extreme replacement?
Simple answer: Any actual ac-Standard based router (introduced 2016 or later) is better then what you have now! ;)

I would recommend: The Asus AC86U - as top range product for a good price and the firmware from Merlin (as soon as it leaves the Alpha/Beta stage).

A Router and one Access Points would be preferred over Bridge Mode (for speed and coverage), but it depends on your cabling available (looks like not working well). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Airport AC's are a drop-in replacement for the Airport N's

Chris, agree with the the above; if you like Apple, keep an eye on Apples recertfied/refurbished online store. Once a month or so they have a few Airport Extremes, available for $120 and the Express goes for $50 and they go fast. I I snagged a couple of each since I'd always wanted one. Apples software said one was possibly overheating, so I gave Apple a call. They overnighted me a brand new one that has had no issues and I returned the other one. It's not an RT-AC3200, but it does well for the whole downstairs. Based on years of warranty gripes, you'll never get better service or replacement during the warranty period. Might be somewhat blasphemous oming from an Asus/Merlin fan, but with the seasonal sales coming on, you might get a good price on, and will probably like the AC86 or similar. Our AC3200 coverage is excellent for our measley 3000 square feet. Good luck.

One of the fun things about Airports on the N/AC class - the Guest Network is a VLAN that can be nicely managed from a real router/managed switch combo... and the Guest VLAN is dual band which is cool.

side effect of their "extended" network - apple was doing "mesh" years back before Orbi, and the like...

Airports are still kinda nice as AP's - decent performance there - and the refurb store is an excellent deal.

Definitely, have become an avid Apple fan in my golden years, but it took a year with an iPad to win me over. Always liked the Extreme router (and it looks cool on a coffe table. Would've loved to have had an iphone instead the Sperry Univac mainframe I had to work with, but then, so would the astronauts going to the moon, or for that mattter, in the first shuttles.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!