What's new

Best Budget Router for busy family/two story.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pack66

New Around Here
Hi All,

thanks for the help in advance. We currently have an Arris TG862 from Comcast and want to get our own instead of renting. I have a few G and N devices and will probably see some newer AC devices in the near future so a good all-rounder is what we're looking to buy. We all game, with me hardwired into our Arris and the kids via Wifi to a computer/Wii U downstairs. House is 2500sqft and two story.

I'm currently considering some flavor of Archer, maybe the C7 or C8? Range and average speed are important. Thoughts?

That is a telephony gateway.

Do you also have voice from Comcast?

If so then what you can purchase is very limited and you would need to first make sure Comcast allows customer owned equipment (telephony gateways) for your area.

Not all areas served by Comcast allow customer owned gateways.

renting a cable modem?
Buy - break even 1 year. I prefer to rent to avoid finger pointing.

I always have a separate WiFi router. Just a modem from the ISP.

Two story - you may need to add an access point AP on the 2nd floor.
Something like the ASUS RT-N12/D1 from Newegg - it can be setup as either router or AP. It's inexpensive.

I suggest waiting to go 11AC. Probably overkill given your ISP's speed and the slowness of most Internet Servers.

renting a cable modem?

That is a voice modem which will change what you can do so need to wait and see if the OP has Comcast voice.

Could put the modem in bridge mode then use a separate router but if they have Comcast voice you will still need to rent the modem or buy a Comcast approved telephone gateway (if allowed where they live).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I use Vonage for my voice needs. This setup is strictly for data only. For whatever reason, they gave me that particular gateway.

As to renting, that's why we're buying :) . I'm considering the Archer C7 (which is probably one of the cheaper recommended AC1700 routers) paired with a Motorola Surfboard SB6141. I'll then probably install DD-WRT on to my old WRT54G and use it as a repeater downstairs.

Thanks for the replies. I use Vonage for my voice needs. This setup is strictly for data only. For whatever reason, they gave me that particular gateway.

As to renting, that's why we're buying :) . I'm considering the Archer C7 (which is probably one of the cheaper recommended AC1700 routers) paired with a Motorola Surfboard SB6141. I'll then probably install DD-WRT on to my old WRT54G and use it as a repeater downstairs.

That would work but the WRT54G is only 10/100 while the Archer is gigabit which may be an issue depending on how fast your speed tier is from Comcast.

The WRT54G would be an afterthought and only if the router we buy doesn't have the range we need. So I guess Range is fairly important.

WRT545G won't cope with the ISP's 30+ Mbps speed.
Too old/slow.

I wouldn't mess with DD-WRT nor 802.11AC. Little benefit, much hassle.

ac is OK if you are planning ahead and thinking about the system you plan to have in a couple of years. Amazon and Newegg reviews are a big help in making a selection.

I just gave away a N600 WNDR3400V1 with stock firmware reloaded (from DD-WRT) to a relative for use as a wireless access point. Their DSL router was really weak in the wireless dept. Even 5GHz went through the floor from the basement well. I was a little surprised.

DD-WRT is the only game in town for flexible 5GHz wireless bridges, providing you find a stable release. 2.4GHz bridging is just asking for congestion. I've always had good luck with DD-WRT and refurb routers, although I had to replace releases of DD-WRT occasionally to find a stable one.

I have a SB6121 and am happy. The SB6141 should be great.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with some legacy items which require G, but we're moving towards AC and have some N devices. So, for now I'll probably look at one of the Archer devices. My main concern is reaching down to the downstairs devices with an upstairs emplacement.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with some legacy items which require G, but we're moving towards AC and have some N devices. So, for now I'll probably look at one of the Archer devices. My main concern is reaching down to the downstairs devices with an upstairs emplacement.

Many two story homes need two access devices: WiFi router and connected Access Point (AP). If for no other reason that the handheld devices'
transmitter power is low and they have a poor antenna.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!