What's new

Best cards for TP Link 4300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wallythacker

New Around Here
What mini WIFI network cards have you tried with your TP 4300 and what are the results you got?

To date I've only tried an Atheros AR5B125 (OEM card) which give me 10 MB/s copying files (connected @135mbps) and an Intel (sorry, I forget the model) which connected at 300mbps from anywhere in my house but never was better than 2-3MB/s when copying files.

I also tried the Realtek 8188CE combo card and connected no better than 65mbps so only gave 4-5MB/s copy files but the card had bluetooth which was nice.

Anyone have a network card that connects at 450mbps and lets you copy files at 50-75MB/s?

If you mean a TL-WDR4300, it supports 450 Mbps link rate on 5 GHz only. You would need a 3x3 client like the Intel 6300 and three antennas

Nothing will copy at 50-75MB/sec.

N. O. T. H. I. N. G.

On 5GHz it can do 450Mbps CONNECTION rate. You lose around 40% to error correction and other overhead (beacon, TCP/IP header, etc).

So at BEST, you might get around 300Mbps payload speeds in an ideal situation. That works out to around 37MB/sec absolute max. Probably it'll go somewhat slower depending on distance, etc.

I have the TP-Link WDR3600 and I can say my Intel 7260ac card connects at full 300Mbps 2.4 and 5GHz. I get around 23MB/sec on 2.4GHz and 25MB/sec on 5GHz. That is 184 and 200Mbps respectively is and REALLY good.

One thing to note with Intel cards, not sure about some of the older ones, but my 7260ac HATES TP-Link routers with the newest 7.x.x.x series drivers. It chugs along at 2-4MB/sec on them. I had to use the older 6.x.x.x branch of drivers and it flies along using them.

Just a thought on your poor experience with an intel wifi card connecting to your wdr4300 TP-Link router.

I have seen mixed things on the 4300 with some finding on 5GHz it is sometimes a little slower than the 3600 and sometimes a little faster. So I wouldn't expect a huge leap forward, but with the right wifi card (Intel 6300?) you might be able to push 30MB/sec on 5GHz close to the router.

You will need a wifi card that supports 450Mbps in 5GHz and you'll actually need 3 antennas as well to do that. A single stream card is only going to connect at 65/150Mbps at best. A 2 stream at 130/300Mbps.

It sounds like your router is operating at 20Mhz 2.4GHz and that is what most clients are connecting on. You need a 5GHz client and a 3 stream one at that to actually push your connection to the limits.

If you still have that Intel card, give it a try, but try using the Windows default drivers if a possibility, or if not, search around on Google for Intel 6.x.x.x drivers for it (I don't think Intel has any of the 6 series branch of drivers on their website anymore).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!