What's new

Best choice for good range, 2.4 GHz n router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smgoff

Occasional Visitor
I need a router that has better range than my D-Link DIR 655 for 2.4 GHz n for use with a couple of Chromecast devices in seeming dead spots. I'll be updating some other devices soon (iPad, iPhones, MacBook) to ones with ac receivers, so the router should also be ac and 5 GHz capable. I likely can use my current router as an access point to get rid of the dead spots, if my wife agrees to having it in the living room. But I can't count on that, and would like to have the best range on the main router for 2.4 GHz.

I should note that the MacBook will be a Pro with Retina display, which I think has a 3 x 3 Broadcom ac radio.

Best way to cure weak dead spots is by adding Access Point(s) a.k.a. APs.

Place an AP near the weak area. connect AP to router via cat5 or IP over power wiring (HPNA or other), or MoCA. See sections that here in the forum.

There are FAQs at the top level of this website showing details on these topics.

A router alone cannot cure the issue of weak signal FROM the client devices.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/AC1750?rank=23

Thanks very much! I wish the price differential between these and the R7000 was higher. The difference between the Asus AC66U and the R7000 is only $15.00.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!