What's new

Best ext hdd for AC66U and N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glenncol

New Around Here
Hi all

I am wanting to add an external HD to my router which is the AC66U but iam wanting one that will spin down when not is use and preferabbly something that does not need a power supply

what are your thought?

Thank you
Glenn

I am wanting to add an external HD to my router which is the AC66U but iam wanting one that will spin down when not is use and preferabbly something that does not need a power supply
Hi,

The HDD will only spin down if there is no activity on the disk.
E.g. a download manager (e.g. Transmission) can prevent the spin down as it read premanently from the disk...

The USB 2.0 specification allow devices to use up to 2.5 Watt power (all devices on one controller: 5 Volt x 500 mA = 2.5 Watt). This should be enough to power an external 2.5" HDD.

No sure if there are any limits on the router, as the USB controller it should follow the specifications... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!