What's new

Best long-range router for 40 simultaneous connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ja_boulay

New Around Here
Hi,

I need to buy a wireless router for a corporate event I'm working on. The router must me extremely reliable and must be able to support 40 simultaneous iPad connections. The event will be held in a large open space. The iPads will be wirelessly connected to a wired computer server which will manage an auction. The router speed and throughput is not so much important since the transmitted data will be relatively small.

I was looking at the Netgear N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND ROUTER WNDR3400 and the linksys equivalents, but I'm not sure they support 40 simultaneous connections and if they're reliable enough.

Maybe a business solution with a wireless access point would be a better solution than a simple wireless router?

Your help and advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
J-A

Dual-band isn't going to help because iPads are 2.4 GHz only.

If reliability is job #1, I wouldn't be using wireless anyway. But you may be better off with a couple of biz-grade APs like Ciscos and a good pre-event wireless site survey to see how much competing wireless traffic is around.

If there is little or no external wifi presence in the area, you could still easily fit 3 decent routers in your budget and spread the load around to channels 1/6/11.

I imagine most routers can handle ~15 clients without any real issues, especially on light loads. I managed to have 8 people on a pocket router at a major conference with many other APs visible, though the major limiter was the internet connection none of them dropped out all day. We weren't streaming video, mostly email and all on the same external chat server.

Thank you very much for your reply. I finally went for two relatively low cost commercial AP solution.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online