What's new

Best Outdoor WiFi antenna?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kshaw

Occasional Visitor
I wanted to get an outdoor WiFi antenna to provide internet to inside of an all metal airplane hangar. I can pick up the Comcast Hotspot internet fine just outside the hangar door so I just need to get the signal indoors. Also, I wanted to use a 40 foot SMA cable to route the signal to the computer. Is that too far for this cable length.

I wanted to get an outdoor WiFi antenna to provide internet to inside of an all metal airplane hangar. I can pick up the Comcast Hotspot internet fine just outside the hangar door so I just need to get the signal indoors. Also, I wanted to use a 40 foot SMA cable to route the signal to the computer. Is that too far for this cable length.
Yes, the cable is too long. Unless you use big and/or expensive low-loss cable, you will lose a lot of signal in that cable.

The better solution is to use an outdoor PoE powered bridge. Then you can run 300 feet of Ethernet cable to your indoor AP.

Yes, the cable is too long. Unless you use big and/or expensive low-loss cable, you will lose a lot of signal in that cable.

The better solution is to use an outdoor PoE powered bridge. Then you can run 300 feet of Ethernet cable to your indoor AP.

No doubt - a 40 foot RF cable run is going to negate any and all gain there...

I like the bridge solution...

yup used an older ubiquiti picostation HP mounted on my roof and connected by ethernet and POE powered for quite some time , was amazing how wide its field of view was and what it could connect to , the picostation was omni directional , you may benefit from a more directional one like some of the tp links listed in the link above

Comcast has a dialog sequence where I need to enter my home email address and password before I can connect to the internet. Would the bridge permit me to do that?

Comcast has a dialog sequence where I need to enter my home email address and password before I can connect to the internet.

thats called a splash page that adds another level of complexity although as the device on the roof is just syncing to the transmission the device behind it eg your comp would then access the splash page and sign in

i cant help much further on this as i dont know the system and dont live in the states

hopefully others will have more info on this

however im pretty sure Comcast Hotspot internet uses 3g/4g/lte to connect so it might not work without some form of modem that supports it

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!