What's new

Best QoS implementation? (<$150)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K0sh

New Around Here
Hi all.

We're getting ready to update our home network, coinciding with switching ISPs.

We have a lot of kids in the house, a couple elderly parents we're caring for, and of course the Royal Payers-of-the-Bills (me and 'mom'). With a ton of devices around, I'm trying to see what options I have in terms of flexible QoS on a home router.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do one of the following:
Solution 1 (Good) - Using a guest network, segment off a population of devices and cap the total bandwidth for that population to 25% of the available pipe. We could put all the iPhone, iPads, etc belonging to the kids and their friends over here - ensuring that the grown ups have a big chunk of the pipe for whatever we want.

Solution 2 (Better) - Same as above, but then still being able to prioritize either traffic types or MAC addresses for specific devices on either network. For example, the wife and my laptops should get traffic priority in the Closed Network over the ones belonging to my live-in in laws.

So far, I've been to a couple local computer retailers... And, while there's a lot of selection of devices, there's not a lot of information on the packaging (or readily found on the manufacturer's websites, from what I can see) re: how the QoS features/setup of these routers work.

Does anyone have any suggestions of devices I should consider?

edit: Currently, we have an old Netgear router in the house that is begging to be put out of its misery. I'd prefer to stay with Netgear, Linksys or some other major-name-ish brand unless there's a real diamond in the rough out there.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump my own thread, but installation from our provider is Thurs. :)

If there's been a lot of discussion on this in the past, just tell me use search (though I tried and was unsuccessful before I posted this).

Thanks!

It's tough to find routers that provide both bandwidth and priority QoS and in both up and downlink directions.

But using the Router Finder, you can scroll down to the QoS section, set the filters to Both and see what we have reviewed. The Cisco RV042 variants are one option. EnGenius routers also have flexible QoS.

Sounds like the OP is really looking for traffic shaping - not QoS

If you have a 802.11n (or AC) router that is spec compliant - QoS and WMM are required for HT traffic - period

Traffic Shaping - Ubicom and Bigfoot had some interesting stuff going on there for consumer gear... alas, all absorbed now into the QCOM/Atheros empire

sfx

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!