What's new

Best router for OpenVPN server using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobZ

New Around Here
Hi,

I am interested in running an OpenVPN server with high performance but hopefully not break the bank.

I am new to the forum, but I've had a look around. In one post I saw that RMerlin said his firmware is focused on performance, which seems to be what I am after. Beyond running OpenVPN server, I don't need too many bells and whistles, so I don't see a need for DD-WRT.

Taking a look at the routers that will run Asuswrt-Merlin, (list here: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about ) I culled the list down to a few that are the most reasonable options these days, offering the most bang for the buck and hopefully meeting my needs.

Router Processor Speed Price

RT-AC56U 800 Mhz $95

RT-AC1900 1 Ghz $149

RT-AC1900P 1.4 Ghz $179

I realize the first one has simpler wireless networking than the others, but as I said, I am mostly interested in getting the best OpenVPN server performance I can. Wireless performance is not crucial. What I’m wondering is if the faster processors in the more expensive routers will translate into better OpenVPN performance, to the point where it would be worth it to pay almost twice the cheapest option.

Alternatively, I could run the OpenVPN server on a PC behind the firewall, but that would add complexity, and I’m not sure such a setup would be faster than running it in the router. Or maybe it would, and I should stick to a cheaper router.

I should add that besides wanting to see the private network, I am interested in streaming services when I am overseas, which is a big reason for my focusing on OpenVPN server performance.

Thanks!
-Bob

depends on the throughput you need.

Do know that the AC68U or similar CPU can be overclocked to 1.4Ghz with active cooling but that chip doesnt have hardware acceleration for NAT and such.

depends on the throughput you need.

Do know that the AC68U or similar CPU can be overclocked to 1.4Ghz with active cooling but that chip doesnt have hardware acceleration for NAT and such.

Thanks for that.

The internet link is 100 Mbs down, about 50 Mbs Up, so for streaming services, it would be nice to get 50 Mbs throughput. Headroom in case I get faster Internet down the road would be nice.

I'd to shy away from overclocking, as my main concern is simplicity and durability. I'll be away from the box for long stretches of time. Does anyone know if the faster processor of the RT-AC1900P runs hot? Is extra cooling needed for this (or other) processors?

Besides a faster clock, do the newer/more expensive processors have hardware acceleration features that would give a further advantage in my situation?

P.S. Is that you RMerlin? You came up as "System Error Message" but it also says "Part of the Furniture", so I'm thinking it's you.

Thanks for that.

The internet link is 100 Mbs down, about 50 Mbs Up, so for streaming services, it would be nice to get 50 Mbs throughput. Headroom in case I get faster Internet down the road would be nice.

I'd to shy away from overclocking, as my main concern is simplicity and durability. I'll be away from the box for long stretches of time. Does anyone know if the faster processor of the RT-AC1900P runs hot? Is extra cooling needed for this (or other) processors?

Besides a faster clock, do the newer/more expensive processors have hardware acceleration features that would give a further advantage in my situation?

P.S. Is that you RMerlin? You came up as "System Error Message" but it also says "Part of the Furniture", so I'm thinking it's you.
Im not @RMerlin, infact he knows more about the speeds the CPU and firmware can handle. For 50Mb/s i do know they might be able to handle it.