What's new

Best router for sharing connection.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lalato

Occasional Visitor
I'm sure my situation isn't unique. I live in an apartment and am sharing a connection with my upstairs neighbor. Everything is working fine, but there are times when performance lags a bit. I'm wondering if getting a different router might help the situation.

Currently have a Linksys WRT54G v6. This is the so called "neutered" version of the WRT line of routers... so installing all of the features of DD-WRT or OpenWRT isn't really an option. I think there is a "micro" version of DD-WRT that could work, but I have doubts that installing it will increase performance appreciably.

All but one of the current devices are Macs. It's a mix of B/G/N devices. I think my neighbor is B/G (not 100% sure if it's just G or if he also has a B device floating around). In my apartment it's G/N.

Would it make sense to get a dual band dual radio N router? Put my apartment on the 5Ghz radio and the neighbor on the 2.4Ghz radio? If I verify that I have nothing slower than G on the network, maybe just getting a better G router would be best?

Thanks for any advice you might have. :)
--sam

What do you mean "performance lags a bit". Wireless? Yours? Your neighbors?

11b devices will definitely slow things down when they are transmitting.

What I mean by that is that streaming video gets stutters. Download performance isn't as good as it could be at times.

I have the fastest service Comcast offers so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with the pipes coming into the router. That said, I'm not sure how I would test to rule that out.

If it's a B client, then I'm not sure there is much I can do about it other than tell my neighbor to get a better adapter. Hmmm...

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

--sam

Streaming video to the upstairs apartment or to your network? What kind of video, web or HD?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just a bandwidth issue.

To keep B clients from slowing things down, you'd need to put them on another AP, set to a different channel and with a different SSID.

sorry about the delayed response. I've been in Portland doing some brewery tours. What a great town.

Anyway, as to your questions. Video streaming in my apartment has stutters. Stuff like Hulu and other services. Come to think of it I guess it could be a problem with those services and not my setup.

Your comment on setting them up on a different AP leaves me wondering if I could convert my current Router into an AP for the upstairs neighbors should I decide to get a new router for downstairs. As noted above, I have the neutered version of the WRT54G line of routers.

--sam

If you're having trouble with Web video in your own apartment, first try a wired connection to rule out problems with the sites themselves or your Internet connection.

Then get your neighbors clients disconnected and all your B clients disconnected and try just streaming with a G client.

If that works, then set up a separate router to handle B traffic or upgrade those devices (if possible) to at least G.