What's new

Best router for wifi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petes67bird

Occasional Visitor
RT N66U Vs. R6300 Range...who wins?

Hi everyone,
I currently use an Asus RT N56U and it is an overall good modem. Not too many dropouts and the range is ok. I am having an issue with the range on the router not reaching our living room in a 2000sq ft home. I cannot get my phone to get online and the laptop bounces from 1-2 bars. I have a good offer from someone who wants to buy my router.

My next question is which router on the market has a significant better wifi range while still performing good enough for online gaming. My only requirements are to be able to place one device in DMZ and other than that, I need stellar wifi coverage. I am looking at the RT N66U, the Amped 20000, the Netgear R6300 and any other router that will give me that boost in coverage. I dont know how much different the 56u and 66u are in terms of wifi range, but what are your opinions on what would work for me. From my thinking is that the external antenna on the 66u will provide better range than the internal on the 56u, but I dont know anything about routers. Thanks Pete

Last edited:
I need to buy a router within 48 hours. Please give your input regarding the RT N66u vs the R6300 Netgear. Has anyone tested the range of these two routers against one another? I just hooked up my old WNDR3500 and I have signal where the RT N56U failed. Please let me know, right now from my results I am leaning towards the Netgear R6300.

Again only requirements are reliable, DMZ, and wireless range. I have 60/20Mbps connection if that matters and game alot. Thanks

I'm interested as well (replacing a DIR-655). Main reason is poor wifi reception on some clients <100ft from the router (through two walls). I guess it's more the respective clients flaw than the routers, since even my NookColor works in those locations. Since updating those clients is not possible I'm left with (1) upgrading the router or (2) bridge/repeat with a homeplug wifi-combo. I'd like to keep expenses to a minimum (duh) and have narrowed the router part down to either a WNDR3700 (€70), for €90 the choice between a N56U/WNDR4000/3800 or a €80 Dlink 307AV set.
Judging from the charts/reviews the homeplug option would seem a safe bet (maybe an option for you as well pete?), but I'm wondering if (one of) the mentioned routers offer significant enough range improvement over the -655 so I could go the replacement way and reap the benefits from the improved feature sets without sacrificing my #1 goal: range.

My clients performance works better on the old wnr3500 than the Asus rt n56u. I am wondering why 180 people have looked at this but cannot chime in to let me know which wireless router has the best coverage at a max budget of 200.

That's because everyone environment going to be different than yours.

I have two CISCO Linksys WiFi routers in placed now since that's what I have to use at the moment.

EA4500V1
E4200V1

Both in WAP forced mode.

One is located at the far right side of the house the other is at the far left side of the house

Both show up under my web site survey as 100% each for a strong signal. Yesterday I ran a full HD 1080p Movie from Amazon Instant Videos through one of the CISCO WAP.
Then I also had the same movie started on the other end on Wired connection. No flattering, no lagging, no audio sync issues. No nothing.

As for you can go and buy ASUS, CISCO, WD, D-LINK, TP-LINK, NETGEAR an etc. Finding the right one to use it the hard part. My rule of thumb was if you need 802.11n you should look for the one with the highest TX Power dBm most likely 20dBm.

Now it's 27dBm and 30dBm on some higher end ones. But most are finding going higher doesn't mean better. So 20dBm is the best choice. But then again most you see range from 14dBm to 18dBm.

Use SNB WiFi Charts and WiFi Router Charts to compare everything you need then decide?

If you can't decide then find out form the retailer or online vendor if you can return what you don't want to use. These are the options you have.

Last edited:
Tipstir is spot-on... the prime consideration is the environment...

I cover a 1600 sq ft house and 23,000 sq ft yard with two Airports on opposite sides of the house - 5GHz is good everywhere inside, 2.4GHz is pretty much everywhere in the yard... I'm on the corner, so a bit of space between most of my neighbors except for the guy right next door...

Cable Mode <100BaseT> TimeCapsule <Wireless> Airport Express 2012

I would rather run Cat6 over to the APX, but most of the clients on that side of the house are handhelds, and access internet, and there, the performance is still good enough (15MB down/5MB up) - good enough to stream netflix and 720P HD video to the TV in the bedroom...

Ok, I just ordered the RT N66U. I figure the 3 external antennas should provide the extra 10-15 feet of coverage I needed to begin with. It wasnt much, but enough to cause me to get up off the couch to get signal. Thanks for all that helped.