What's new

Best USB 3 HDD for AC68U?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28741

Can you recommend suitable brands / models that will work?

Is it best to have a powered USB disc (with external power brick) or can a portable HDD work effectively?

Many thanks in advance

Can you recommend suitable brands / models that will work?

Is it best to have a powered USB disc (with external power brick) or can a portable HDD work effectively?
Hi,

Well, giving recommendations on this is not easy: It all depends on the enclosure (converter from HDD interface to USB)! :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly the HDD sellers are changing often the internal electronics and therefore a USB HDD which worked (purchased last month) might not work anymore if you purchase it today! :confused:

You can only do your personal trail and error game.
But on suggestion might help: Buy from a named vendor rather then from a no-name one. Typically the give better support and take things back if it does not work.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Some Russian forums states Seagate drives are good for Asus RT-AC68U.
But sure it depends. I have at least two people who can witness Seagate 1 Tb SRD0SP0 model works successfully.

Actual I would be happy to know does anybody have an experience with 7200 rpm 1 Tb drives on USB3.0? Because of high capacity and speed they request higher starting current - and I am not sure power supply will be enough.

As an example: Hitachi Touro Mobile Pro 1 Tb is quite good, but not sure it will work.

Some Russian forums states Seagate drives are good for Asus RT-AC68U.
But sure it depends. I have at least two people who can witness Seagate 1 Tb SRD0SP0 model works successfully.

Actual I would be happy to know does anybody have an experience with 7200 rpm 1 Tb drives on USB3.0? Because of high capacity and speed they request higher starting current - and I am not sure power supply will be enough.

As an example: Hitachi Touro Mobile Pro 1 Tb is quite good, but not sure it will work.

Any drive will work!, it is recommended that the hard-drive has power supply. about the speed of the hard drive, you won't even notice the difference. since the hard drive will be plug to the router and not connected directly to the PC.

The only recommendation for a hard drive that I can tell people, it depends how much you rely in the hard drive, I have a 3 TB hard drive plug to the router 24/7, I save everything there, so I bought an enterprise grade hard-drive from Western Digital, external or portable hard drives are not meant to be plug 24/7 and don't last too long if you do.

A good example is that the warranty is only one year or two sometimes and the enterprise hard-drive have five years warranty.

Last edited:
Any drive will work!
Looks like you never know about 3-year warranty from cheap Silicon Power etc drives with "armor".
And you never know about start current for high rpm and high capacity drives.
I have a very old (about 7-8 years old)Memline portable HDD with Toshiba inside that is connected with PC all the time I am working - and it is still alive.

I would never operate with terms "any drive will work" and better give facts, not expressions.

It doesn't matter how long you hard drives lasted, is a fact that portable and external hard-drives are not MEANT to be use 24/7. (google it)

It doesn't matter how long you hard drives lasted, is a fact that portable and external hard-drives are not MEANT to be use 24/7. (google it)
A bit too generalized. Some ext. drive enclosures have good conducted or convected cooling designs.
Some have 5200RPM; some 7200RPM - the latter running hotter.
Good ones spin-down inactive drives - cooler, etc.

Some are solid state drives that need no cooling.

I don't need google to understand every vendor uses it's own mechanism. Some drives use parking, some - so-called "powersave mode", some - none of them. It's not a matter of discussion (btw WD drives are subject of the most short life according to service reports), but it's quite unprofessional to make general summaries "about everything" without taking into mind any details.

(btw WD drives are subject of the most short life according to service reports), but it's quite unprofessional to make general summaries "about everything" without taking into mind any details.

My personal experience says otherwise. We've had a much higher failure rate with Seagate than WD at work, to the point that we stopped selling any Seagate products.

A few months ago, an online backup storage business also posted a survey of the failure rates of the different brands they used, and Seagate also led the pack with a much higher failure rate than everyone else, confirming my own experiences:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

yes! you are right it is to generalized I didn't want to write a long post, and while being brief, many things where left out and thus the misunderstanding, also I never intended to bring SSD to the subject I meant HD only.

There is not specific time about how long a drive lasts only statistics the only sure thing is that they are not mean to work forever regardless if they are enterprise or not, What I meant is that REGULAR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES are not meant to spin 24/7, for the other hand enterprise level Hard Drives are build specifically to provide companies a more reliable hard drive that lasts longer, but it doesn't mean they are fail proof, those hard drives are more expensive.

When I recommended you an enterprise level hard drive i had on mind the behavior of a hard drive while plug to the router is that it spins down while not in use but never goes IDLE.

My Hard-drive is always working and attached to the router, and because of it I bought an enterprise Hard Drive and put it on a drive enclosure wich is plugged to the router.

And why I advised you for a Hard Drive with its own power supply is because I tested that a hard drive without power supply works fine but its performance starts to decline with heavy use. (streaming video to multiple clients)

I've had several hard-drives over the years and the WD black enterprise has last me longer and they have 5 year Warranty, and if you, like me had experienced the failure of a hard drive with important files in it, you wont mind some extra money for a high quality Hard drive and a Back up one. recovery services charge big $$$ to recover data from a broken Hard Drive.

Talking about the longevity of a HD is getting into deep water.

Last edited:
RMerlin
The situation is a little bit tangled after Seagate purchased Samsung and WD purchased Hitachi (I mean their HDD business).

I agree Hitachi was the best one. But I am not sure as for now because actually they became WD.

I've seen Backblaze's statistics (even a wider report), but also I personally know authors of this report too - so my personal experience looks more reliable as for me :)

Last edited:
OK, now I can provide my own experience.

I bought Verbatim Store'n'Go 1 Tb. It has Samsung Spinpoint M8 st1000lm024 HN-m101mbb inside (according to Google and last numbers/letters it is still Samsung, before it became Seagate).

Router found it and connected it well using USB 3.0 port, but during copying 1 Gb video through cable (1000 Full Duplex) the speed is 30 Mb/s only, so I doubt it uses USB 3.0.

I performed the same test with WD My Passport from my friend - the situation remains the same. Not happy with it, but anyway - rumors about bad shielding seems legit.

Upd: Just tested vice versa - copying from router to PC (same file, so the difference was it was not write, but read speed) - same 30 Mb/s.

Last edited:
OK, now I can provide my own experience.

I bought Verbatim Store'n'Go 1 Tb. It has Samsung Spinpoint M8 st1000lm024 HN-m101mbb inside (according to Google and last numbers/letters it is still Samsung, before it became Seagate).

Router found it and connected it well using USB 3.0 port, but during copying 1 Gb video through cable (1000 Full Duplex) the speed is 30 Mb/s only, so I doubt it uses USB 3.0.

I performed the same test with WD My Passport from my friend - the situation remains the same. Not happy with it, but anyway - rumors about bad shielding seems legit.

Upd: Just tested vice versa - copying from router to PC (same file, so the difference was it was not write, but read speed) - same 30 Mb/s.

Make sure you disable the option to reduce USB 3.0 interference, under Wireless -> Professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.