What's new

Best value for PPTP capable VPN server / router / questionable need for AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seismik

New Around Here
My WNDR3700 is starting to give up. I want to replace it and one of the features I think I want in a new router is a VPN Server. I use LogMeIn to get to my home PC remotely, but I'd like to be able to use native Windows RDP from work and other locations but don't want to be too exposed with open ports. I have never had a VPN Server running at home so this is seems a nice thing to factor into the new router.

My device list at home is primarily Apple - two iPhone5's (likely moving to 6's in the next 6 months), a few iPads, an AppleTV and my Dell Latitude work laptop. That said, I don't have a compelling need for AC now but does sound as though buying something that can't support AC may be a questionable choice with the variety of options out there.

My price point is around $100.

After reading as much as I can, specifically here ... I am left thinking the RT-AC56U is the right way to go - it's on NewEgg for $81 with discount code right now. Anything else I should seriously consider? Seems the VPN Server requirement eliminates a lot of options, but I wonder how strongly the 56U performs at that function anyway. Would love to hear feedback on any of you running VPN servers on ASUS gear.

Thanks.

My WNDR3700 is starting to give up. I want to replace it and one of the features I think I want in a new router is a VPN Server. I use LogMeIn to get to my home PC remotely, but I'd like to be able to use native Windows RDP from work and other locations but don't want to be too exposed with open ports. I have never had a VPN Server running at home so this is seems a nice thing to factor into the new router.

My device list at home is primarily Apple - two iPhone5's (likely moving to 6's in the next 6 months), a few iPads, an AppleTV and my Dell Latitude work laptop. That said, I don't have a compelling need for AC now but does sound as though buying something that can't support AC may be a questionable choice with the variety of options out there.

My price point is around $100.

After reading as much as I can, specifically here ... I am left thinking the RT-AC56U is the right way to go - it's on NewEgg for $81 with discount code right now. Anything else I should seriously consider? Seems the VPN Server requirement eliminates a lot of options, but I wonder how strongly the 56U performs at that function anyway. Would love to hear feedback on any of you running VPN servers on ASUS gear.

Thanks.
With factory firmware, this has been very stable. Has a VPN server too though I've not used it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E16833320168&gclid=CIKP46SL8sECFQmSfgoda7IA-w

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online