What's new

Best way to update firmware in an AiMesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Supermatico

New Around Here
Hello to all,

I have an ASUS RT-AX88U PRO as a main router and an RT-AX88U as a AiMesh node, both with Merlin firmware, 388_7

Now, before to update both to the latest 388_8 firmware version I need to know if there is a correct procedure to follow to don't become crazy to set everything back from zero, as already happened changing the firmware from the official ASUS one to the Merlin one

I suppose that the best way should be the node first then the main router for last, but before to do something I'll wait your kindly answer

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I've done router first, and other times I've done nodes first, more often than not, nodes first since moving to 388.x for consistency. Since you reference Merlin Firmware, let me add that I don't think the Mobile App is officiallly supported as it's mentioned in the YouTube video, I figured I should bring it up - Mobile App not supported search. So via the GUI, and let one finish before starting the next.

Conversely, been on MerlinAU and BACKUPMON for a few months/releases and automating it, works great for me and provides a fall back if anything goes wrong. See MerlinAU BACKPMON

If you haven't already seen it. Asus has their own guidance on how to update the firmware on AiMesh nodes. Take it for what it's worth.

Hi, to update just a node it is not the question: when I update both routers from ASUS official firmware to Merlin one, I had to disconnect my node (backhaul ethernet connection), bring it close to the master one, reset it, start a new procedure to add a node
That's what I want to avoid, especially because I have to change all the wire connections with my desktop computer to let it to connect to the master (it's normally connected to the node via ethernet cat 6a cable) to be able to manage adding the node back again

While with ASUS official firmware the update is done automatically and you'll not lose your settings, with Merlin one instead you must do it manually only, that's the reason to my original question: is there a best way to update the system without making a nightmare as described before?

I've done router first, and other times I've done nodes first, more often than not, nodes first since moving to 388.x for consistency. Since you reference Merlin Firmware, let me add that I don't think the Mobile App is officiallly supported as it's mentioned in the YouTube video, I figured I should bring it up - Mobile App not supported search. So via the GUI, and let one finish before starting the next.

Conversely, been on MerlinAU and BACKUPMON for a few months/releases and automating it, works great for me and provides a fall back if anything goes wrong. See MerlinAU BACKPMON

Hi, so you're meaning that does not matter which one you update first, but with the latest 388.x should be better the node first?

Thanks in advance

P.S.: The app will not be officially supported, but seems that's working fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-23-12-50-54-927_com.asus.aihome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-23-12-50-54-927_com.asus.aihome.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2024-07-23-12-50-54-927_com.asus.aihome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-23-12-50-54-927_com.asus.aihome.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
While with ASUS official firmware the update is done automatically and you'll not lose your settings, with Merlin one instead you must do it manually only, that's the reason to my original question: is there a best way to update the system without making a nightmare as described before?
For the stock Asus router firmware one can either have it update automatically or they can manually update. The Asus support link includes directions on how to manually update both the router and the node firmware. The support doc indicating updating the router firmware first, then update the node firmware. There is a manual upload link/button for both the main router and nodes in the router GUI.

Reality is that AiMesh can be problematic. Works fine for some, others have a multitude of issues as evidenced by various past AiMesh discussions on this site (see the site search feature). Best you can do is manually update the Asus-Merlin firmware on the node and see if it drops or disconnects from the main router or not.

Note that some recommend using stock Asus firmware on the AiMesh nodes since one typically doesn't get the extra feature benefits found in the Asus-Merlin firmware on AP or AiMesh nodes.

Reality is that AiMesh can be problematic. Works fine for some, others have a multitude of issues as evidenced by various past AiMesh discussions on this site (see the site search feature). Best you can do is manually update the Asus-Merlin firmware on the node and see if it drops or disconnects from the main router or not.

That's complete true, what is hidden by the manufacture is that the AiMesh feature is NOT compatible between all routers declared as AiMesh capable
I'd already tried my RT-AX88U as master and a RT-AX82U as a node: a nightmare definition is like a wonderful dream with this configuration. Finally the AX82U has been sent back to the seller
I'd already tried my RT-AX88U as master and a TUF-AX6000 as a node: another nightmare raised in my house, sent back to the seller

Finally with this two everything is absolute perfect, no issues at all, just with the firmware upgrade, one time, and I don't want to let it to happen a second time.

That's all

Ok, finally I upgrade the master first and the node for last.
Everything has worked fine,

tks a lot for your time

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online