What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon Erik! Pay more attention to testing the performance of the asus rt88u router
On the new firmware version!
In particular as regards HW acceleration! On firmwares 380.67 beta2
The performance is within the norm although the speed cutting is still happening!
Since without a router the speed reaches me 120 megabytes
On the router stably hold 100 megabytes! Photo I enclose!

Attachments

• Снимок.PNG
    Снимок.PNG
    160.9 KB · Views: 654
  • Снимок1.PNG
    Снимок1.PNG
    99.4 KB · Views: 768
I would love to see the roaming assist in the wifi allow signals as weak as -60dbi.

I tried before, doesn't work - threshold is hardcoded in the driver.

Good afternoon Erik! Pay more attention to testing the performance of the asus rt88u router
On the new firmware version!
In particular as regards HW acceleration! On firmwares 380.67 beta2
The performance is within the norm although the speed cutting is still happening!
Since without a router the speed reaches me 120 megabytes
On the router stably hold 100 megabytes! Photo I enclose!

Hardware acceleration is closed source and outside of my control. Beside, your problem probably has nothing to do with it, since the RT-AC88U's CPU has no problem reaching 300 Mbps without HW acceleration. Double check your network, make sure you are using Cat 5e or Cat 6 network cables or you will be capped to 100 Mbps.

Problems:
- Occasionally, devices on he 5GHz bandwidth disconnect;
- you can not adjust tx power adjustment via smartphone.
View attachment 9670

Let me know if this works and lasts for a couple of weeks with no drops. I found setting the channel and leaving everything on Auto did not resolve the issue for me. I have disabled all the usual suspects - including Airtime Fairness - and have my router on a cooling pad so the WiFi chips run real cool. Only using 40Mhz bandwidths cured the issue for me. I have yet to find any combo of General and Professional 5Ghz WiFi settings that I can use with 80Mhz channel widths. I still believe it is a closed driver firmware issue with Asus and/or Broadcom that Eric can't fix.

Hardware acceleration is closed source and outside of my control. Beside, your problem probably has nothing to do with it, since the RT-AC88U's CPU has no problem reaching 300 Mbps without HW acceleration. Double check your network, make sure you are using Cat 5e or Cat 6 network cables or you will be capped to 100 Mbps.

Sorry that you do not understand what I wrote! And did not look carefully at the photo! The problem in achieving a speed above 900 megabits! I even put a photo specially for this!

Attachments

• Снимок.PNG
    Снимок.PNG
    160.9 KB · Views: 639
  • Снимок1.PNG
    Снимок1.PNG
    99.4 KB · Views: 724
Let me know if this works and lasts for a couple of weeks with no drops. I found setting the channel and leaving everything on Auto did not resolve the issue for me. I have disabled all the usual suspects - including Airtime Fairness - and have my router on a cooling pad so the WiFi chips run real cool. Only using 40Mhz bandwidths cured the issue for me. I have yet to find any combo of General and Professional 5Ghz WiFi settings that I can use with 80Mhz channel widths. I still believe it is a closed driver firmware issue with Asus and/or Broadcom that Eric can't fix.
I can confirm that this solved my 5Ghz drops. I have all of the 2.4Ghz traffic limited on 20MHz and 5GHz on 40MHz. Airtime Fairness is also disabled, but Explicit and Universal Beamforming are both enabled without any issue. I also found that control channel 2 and 157 works best.

I can confirm that this solved my 5Ghz drops. I have all of the 2.4Ghz traffic limited on 20MHz and 5GHz on 40MHz. Airtime Fairness is also disabled, but Explicit and Universal Beamforming are both enabled without any issue. I also found that control channel 2 and 157 works best.

Thanks. You are set up exactly like me except I use channels 1 and 44. Again, it still doesn't address why some AC88Us can't use 80Mhz wide channels and some can. Really disappointed as this is supposed to be their flagship router yet it can't provide the added WiFi bandwidth 80 MHz provides. I have a 1Gbps fiber internet link so the added bandwidth potential is not frivolous.

Trying to upgrade from 380.66_beta5-gfccc157 to the latest on a AC-3200 it simply will not upgrade. No matter which browser I use to upload, what combination. Any ideas?

try:

Remove usb devices hooked,reboot,flash
Thanks, I will do that Pull all the USB stuff. Reboot then flash and see how it goes. I was confused as the upload process never actually asked me to reboot. It just snapped back into the old Web-UI.

Have Beta2 up and running on both devices for 32 hours. Can't discover anything weird in the logs, so far so good.

Thanks. You are set up exactly like me except I use channels 1 and 44. Again, it still doesn't address why some AC88Us can't use 80Mhz wide channels and some can. Really disappointed as this is supposed to be their flagship router yet it can't provide the added WiFi bandwidth 80 MHz provides. I have a 1Gbps fiber internet link so the added bandwidth potential is not frivolous.
I know, feels we got cheated by ASUS. Have you tried to turn of the 2.4Ghz radio and only have the 5GHz/80Mhz active to isolate this issue further? It would be interesting to see if the channel still drops the connection. If it's stable its probably a driver issue, if not I think it's a hardware issue. (I would try this out, but I have users on the router right know)

Looking for a small group of betatesters to test an Adaptive QoS change. Please send me a PM if interested. Must have a router with Adaptive QoS support.

Edit: Thank you, I should have enough testers for the time being.

Last edited:
RT-AC5300 with 380.67 beta2. My OpenVPN is finally stable after months of constant drops.
Thanks

After update Beta2, my RT-AC66U running more than 2 days a little bit then reboot unexpected.
Syslog uploaded to following,
https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ajpekfhmqc0SgfBu7FZP2smErxktoA

Just curious about why it reboot, in Beta1 there is a lot of "OOMkill" shows then a reboot; but in Beta2, before a reboot, there seems no strange record.

Last edited:
Just curious about why it reboot, in Beta1 there is a lot of "OOMkill" shows then a reboot; but in Beta2, before a reboot, there seems no strange record.

This indicates your router is running out of memory. If you run any third party add-ons on it, either disable them or configure them to ensure they use less RAM.

This indicates your router is running out of memory. If you run any third party add-ons on it, either disable them or configure them to ensure they use less RAM.
This is the strange part I'm wondering, because I only use AP mode and configured a OpenVPN server, others all disabled.

I see a PPPoE connection as well as DHCP queries from the LAN, which indicates this is not AP mode but Router mode.

I also see a swap file was configured, so some customizations were made.

Finally, I see an odd error message at boot time about preinit failing to start.

I see a PPPoE connection as well as DHCP queries from the LAN, which indicates this is not AP mode but Router mode.

I also see a swap file was configured, so some customizations were made.

Finally, I see an odd error message at boot time about preinit failing to start.

Thank you Eric, it did ran in Router mode, I'm wrong; sorry for the confusing.
And SWAP file was configured for router only, no other customization.

And preinit fail seems triggered by /dev/mtdblock3, I have one UFD for SWAP use and USB fan for cooling it down, is that related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!